When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding Phantom tires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OldHarley

'Lil Knee Scuffer
OK, so I have a nicely conserved 1951 B-17 w/S 2 rims that has been outfitted with Chinese-made diamond tread blackwall tires that are 26 x 2.125. When the bike was found in a barn after sitting for 40 years, it had blackwalls, so the previous owner duly matched the tires that had been on it (BTW, he gave me the USA 'originals' as well - BFG chain pattern treads).

Now, my question is this: I have a new set of Schwinn Classic whitewalls with a square (brick?) pattern that are the same size off a virtually new 1999 Cruiser SS made in Taiwan. However, the newer Taiwanese Schwinn has aluminum rims that measure 1 1/4" wide, while the older steel rims are at least 1/2" wider.

While I think the whitewalls should fit, the whitewall itself is smaller and the tire itself is measurably smaller than the blackwalls, even though it is labeled 26 x 2.125.

So, will the Schwinn Classic's work OK with the wider rims or do I need to just order a set of Typhoons made for the S 2 rims(I really have too many tires laying around and want to avoid that unless necessary)?

Thanks guys

OH

The Phantom didn't have Typhoons in '51. You might be able to find a nice set of white wall Goodyears which, I believe, would be factory correct but you best option is a pair of John's chain tread tires. You can inflate them to 45lbs no problem and not worry about old rubber. V/r Shawn

Which image is it that you are referring to?
It's possible that ours weren't og tires, but thought they were as everything else on the bike is, and they are super worn.

Darcie

Last edited:

Tires were a luck of the draw for Schwinn bicycles. Phantoms came equipped with whatever mfgs Schwinn had an allegiance with.
I've seen Goodyear Allweather and US Royal most commonly along with the Typhoon

Which image is it that you are referring to?
It's possible that ours weren't og tires, but thought they were as everything else on the bike is, and they are super worn.

Darcie

Thanks Bob. Was wondering if the Our Own Hardware badged bikes had different stuff, as the DX we just got with the reverse paint guard and rack is also a OOH badged bike.

Darcie

The Phantom didn't have Typhoons in '51. You might be able to find a nice set of white wall Goodyears which, I believe, would be factory correct but you best option is a pair of John's chain tread tires. You can inflate them to 45lbs no problem and not worry about old rubber. V/r Shawn

Freqman1, Thanks for the heads-up. I just bought the last set John had listed on eBay. I mis-stated that the 'originals' were BFG blackwall chain treads. They were US Royals.

Maybe they were original to the bike? Hard to say after 65 years. PO gave me a whole box of stuff that was found on the bike including these tires. Not sure the tires have any value other than as a 'go-by' though.

Whitewall tires were factory issue on the Phantoms so the blackwalls were probably not original. But you never know for sure.

Last edited:
Back