When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

North Carolina Coaster bike ride

-

DonChristie

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In Memoriam
Lets get a monthly ride going out here somewhere! Maybe we could ride in Charlotte or anywhere. Downtown seemed pretty bike friendly. What do you East Coasters think? Will September work? The weekends are 5/6, 12/13, 19/20 and 26/27. Chime in and we can figure this out! Lets ride!

The only weekend I'm good for would be 12-13. Heck even if its just a few of us it better than nothing. I'm not really familiar with Charlotte but scoping out a route would be a good idea as well. Also check to see if there are any major events in town--either NASCAR or pro Football can make a mess of things. V/r Shawn

Not sure about the other sporting events, but NASCAR is in Richmond on the 12th. I like the sounds of the organized rides, something that's lacking here. The Mayors Ride http://bikecharlotte.org/ is during bike week each Spring, bringing awareness to cycling in Charlotte. That's something that would be cool to do as a group as well. My schedule is hit and miss fo/r weekends, as I work a lot of them, but I'd definitely ride when I can and am looking forward to meeting everyone. Thanks for the initiative Schwinndoggy!

You might also mark the annual Durham Tweed Ride on November 8th on your calendar. They do a 10 mile ride through town and end up at the Irish pub in town; there's always a good group of us there with vintage bikes. It's sponsored by Seven Stars Cycling is a fun time.

Lets get a monthly ride going out here somewhere! Maybe we could ride in Charlotte or anywhere. Downtown seemed pretty bike friendly. What do you East Coasters think? Will September work? The weekends are 5/6, 12/13, 19/20 and 26/27. Chime in and we can figure this out! Lets ride!

And something worth mentioning, which I still can't get used to, is that downtown is always referred to as "uptown".

And something worth mentioning, which I still can't get used to, is that downtown is always referred to as "uptown".
Oops! Darn foreigners! Ha! Ok, lets shoot for Saturday the 12th! I will try and figure out a meeting place, route and time. Unless anyone knows a place and route already. Will definately check out the other rides listed, thanks! However, i have no tweed! Haha!

Charlotte is 5 hours from me, which is too far to pull away from my family when I do so already for bike related activities, Raleigh/Durham is half that and doable and so is the coast.
I would be more inclined to come if there was a swap involved, like with the Eden meet.
The UCI championships are in Richmond next month btw and the cycling world is here for the events.
Chris

Last edited:
I got ya Chris! We can do the October ride in Raleigh or the coast? Im down for that! Maybe you can figure a date, place and route? Too bad you cant make September! When and where is the Eden meet?

Hi Don-not wasting anytime getting the wheels rolling here, are you?? ;) One of my favorite routes is the Little Sugar Creek Greenway route from 7th and Kings (near CPCC) to historic Freedom Park. Never clocked it, but I'm guessing 8 miles round trip. Beautiful bike paths, coffee shops and pubs along the way. Freedom Park is local bike geek gathering place, and you can ride back on Queens Rd, one of the most spectacularly beautiful riding streets in town. I should be able to make the 9/12 ride you've planned, now just need to finish my 63 Flightliner which got out of it's OX bath yesterday.

Oops! Darn foreigners! Ha! Ok, lets shoot for Saturday the 12th! I will try and figure out a meeting place, route and time. Unless anyone knows a place and route already. Will definately check out the other rides listed, thanks! However, i have no tweed! Haha!

That is the exact trail I saw and plan on going to check out today, hopefully! Do you want to meet there today?

Back