When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Newsboy

-

cds2323

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Here's my 1950 Columbia Newsboy. Has heavy duty spokes and New Departure hubs. Goodyear Double Eagle tires, although originals were Goodyear Deluxe Rib white walls. One of them blew out and I thought the blackwalls look better and the heavy duty tires match the rims.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 249
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. But I haven't really done anything to this bike. In fact over the twenty years I've owned it, it has actually rusted a little and doesn't look as nice as when it was found. All I ever did was remove all the dirt/dried grease/road tar and rebuild/relube everything.

I picked up the bike from a friend who bought it from the original owner who had purchased the bike new. The owner lived up on the bench in Boise Idaho. He obviously took good care of the bike. I've probably ridden the bike as much as the original owner. Brought it here to this humid climate when I moved from Boise. Since I've stored it so much the chrome peppered a little. Cleaned it again this summer since its been a few years since I last rode it.

When I bought the bike I was buying pre war tank bikes but I couldn't pass this up as it was so clean and I've always liked Westfield bikes. Plus I liked the frame style that didn't need a tank. Still looking for that pre war ballooner arch bar. This one will probably go to the swaps soon.

Last edited:
What a great looking survivor. I am picturing it with a Whizzer on it. Forgive me, just a stray thought.

What a great looking survivor. I am picturing it with a Whizzer on it. Forgive me, just a stray thought.

I was going to put a Whizzer motor on one of these many years ago.... I always liked how the curved bar gave you a little extra room for the motor. Then I sold off all my Whizzers and postwar bike.

I was going to put a Whizzer motor on one of these many years ago.... I always liked how the curved bar gave you a little extra room for the motor. Then I sold off all my Whizzers and postwar bike.

I just posted a picture of a Whizzer that my father built for someone else using a Newsboy frame. The motor fit beautifully. The other nice thing about using a Newsboy is it already has the heavy duty wheels.

That's a nice bike. I picked one up a 1969 few months back with a mismatched rack. not as nice as yours, but still News-worthy :D

1969newsboy.jpg

Back