When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Davis built project!

-

rustyspoke66

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Just picked this up a few days ago. Very solid, straight, with a few dings and no rot. Does one build a Harley? Has the exact frame and fork features as many Harley's I've seen on the net. Oh and this did not have a badge but has hole spacing of 2-1/16"
_20150829_120210 (1).jpg
IMG_20150830_192434491.jpg
IMG_20150830_192455506.jpg

Also .. top nut AND yoke on upper termination
of truss rods are not factory.

........ patric

davis%20frame%20number%20geography.jpg

davis%20smalls (2)  copy.jpg

IMG_20150830_192434491.jpg

Last edited:
Is Davis the only manufacturer that stamped the year separate from the rest of the serial number ?

Good morning, Tom ....

I really don't know enuff about the other manufacturers
to answer that question. But i do know that for at least
the period 1912 thru 1922 Davis was pretty consistent
in the manner of crankcase stamping -- as seen in my
foto-illustration.

However, the YEAR of MANUFACTURE is not always indicated.

........ patric

Last edited:
Actually the top plate just needs a adjustment but is correct. Agreed the nut on top is not the usual style. Still I'm wondering what other badges may have been on this bike? It's not a Dayton or a Chief.

..... I'm wondering what other badges may have been on this bike? It's not a Dayton or a Chief.

With no regard for screw-hole placement on your 1918 machine ...
and, considering only the motorbike model .......

.................. patric

DSCF1181.jpg

DSCF1168.jpg

DSCF1149.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

DSCF1146.jpg

DSCF1141.jpg

DSCF0973.jpg

DSCF1136.jpg

DSCF0253.jpg

Last edited:
Side Holes!!!!!

I know this is probably the wrong place to bring this up, but I have never seen so many motobike Davis badges. I have a Davis with side holes. I see a lot of top and bottom and bottle cap badges but never any side holes. Have kept my eyes open for a while now,but to no avail. Hoofhearted please let me know. I also know that it could be a hardware brand, and I would be fine with that as long as it was on a Davis motorbike, and has side holes. Let me know thanks.

Nice badge show!! Mine has vertical spacing at 2-1/16" center to center. I checked the Napoleon and the spacing looked to be 2-7/8". Seems like most or all the Elgin pics I could find from the era were bottle cap style. I honestly would like to know if it is a reasonable quest to build a Harley?

Back