When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Im struggling with my Whizzer.

-

American Vintage Bicycle Supply

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
So I have had my J model for about a year now and it's been very easy on me. No major problems at all. Ran great.

Recently, I took it up to Chattanooga to visit a friend. Took it up there, started it up and everything was fine.

Once I got home, I swapped the points cover with a nicer reproduction and added an air filter.

It hasn't ran right since then. I took it to a local small engine shop and he said that it was the head gasket. He said it busted and was leaking air.

So I replaced the gasket with a memory-lane Re-pop but no change.

It will start fine but once I give it gas it wont accelerate right. The rpms go up and down instead of steadily increasing.

When I try to adjust the carb it make no difference.

Timing? Sticky value? Thoughts?

May be fuel filter is clogging once stirred up. try taking the new stuff off, if goes back to running well, must be fuel related(air filter too restrictive?)

What does plug ceramic look like? tan, whiter, darker, black? Tan is what you are gunning for. Too light is too hot or too lean, too dark or sooty is too rich, too cold a plug, or if greasy, is burning some oil. Not sure think J4J is correct? j6j bit hotter, j8j hotter yet.
Is bottom of float bowl dirty? fuel level in bowl correct?

one thing that really screwed with my mind, was once mine spun a flywheel key. took me forever to find my problem. put a Briggs Stratton key in.... re-timed it, ran great.

If the air filter is a reproduction, take it off. The material that it is made of will choke the motor out. had the same problem

Back