When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is it about this hobby?

-

56 Vette

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Just curious how many of you have other hobbies or things you like to do that take a back seat to bicycles? For me it came on mild and just kind of exploded, don't see an end in sight, and I'm Ok with that! Been into cars, motorcycles, and anything with a motor forever, also Zippo's and racing collectibles, but these bikes are making other hobbies difficult to focus on. I'm glad the family has benefited from from the bikes, we've went on several rides in beautiful settings, and I've rebuilt several classic bikes for gifts and they actually get used, pretty gratifying for me. But the car and motorcycle other interests seem to be not as important lately. Anyone else go though this? Its been almost a year and I don't think its a fad, Lol. Would like hear your stories. Joe.
IMG_20150903_085459.jpg
IMG_20150903_085645.jpg
IMG_20150903_085417.jpg
IMG_20150903_085549.jpg
IMG_20150903_085201_251.jpg

Joe,

My wife and I are outdoors folks. We love kayaking, cycling, hunting, hiking and generally anything that gets us out of the house. We are avid antique collectors. I'm into wooden duck decoys as well. We ride rail trails as much as possible but on our modern bikes. The vintage bike collecting was a off shoot from our riding road and mountain bikes. I'm 57 and have rode bikes since I was a kid. Even after getting my diver's license I still rode my bike to school for 4 miles. We ride vintage in parades and special events.

Just curious how many of you have other hobbies or things you like to do that take a back seat to bicycles? For me it came on mild and just kind of exploded, don't see an end in sight, and I'm Ok with that! Been into cars, motorcycles, and anything with a motor forever, also Zippo's and racing collectibles, but these bikes are making other hobbies difficult to focus on. I'm glad the family has benefited from from the bikes, we've went on several rides in beautiful settings, and I've rebuilt several classic bikes for gifts and they actually get used, pretty gratifying for me. But the car and motorcycle other interests seem to be not as important lately. Anyone else go though this? Its been almost a year and I don't think its a fad, Lol. Would like hear your stories. Joe.View attachment 235614View attachment 235615View attachment 235616View attachment 235617View attachment 235618

Welcome to the dark side.....

Other hobbies

I have a couple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 249
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 261
Vette you certainly have a great collection.
What is appealing to me about this hobby is one can start gradually and fairly cheaply, unlike buying say a 57 chev.
I myself had 2 old Oldsmobiles for many years. As much as I liked them, doing all the upkeep on them to keep them going just got to be a hassle. Storage was another issue.
With the bikes:
One can ride them, and involve the family with them.

They satisfy the "urge" to physically work on mechanical things that are not as overwhelming as a restoration of an automobile.

They always start and generally don't leak oil. They are easy to bring in and work on them in the hot summer thanks to A.C. or the nasty cold winter when the garage feels like a freezer.

The other thing is some folks just like hobbies and collecting stuff. Sure some of us get carried away collecting "junk" as some would say. We can look at other folks activities and feel really good about ours...........An obsession? Maybe, but lots of harmless fun.

Last edited:
My other hobby is putting food on the table, paying the bills and paying my daughter's college tuition. Sadly, that doesn't leave a hell of a lot of time for much else, but I've always got a bike project on the back burner...

Back