When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bringing another B-6 back to life

-

Tim the Skid

Skidding on my '41 Schwinn Autocycle
I really like the early postwar B-6 and can't resist dragging 'em home when the deal, is right. I found this '46 that had been "custom painted" in blue and white rattle cans and thought that if I could just strip it down to the original.......
IMG_0948_zpsuyv2xcve-1.jpg

this is after countless hours of scrubbin'and rubbin'. I ruined the paint on the chainguard,but had another to replace it that's pretty close, and added a rack.
IMG_0996_zpshrqcqcm7-1.jpg

Last edited:
It's alive! Still need a tank, but it's a great rider.
IMG_1248_zpsndnfgksa-1.jpg

saved the decals and most of the pinstriping,the fore brake is like new, installed fresh bearings and chain.

Last edited:
wow your bike looks good i like!!! i miss my 1948 b6 maybe i will pick a nother one up at memory lane fall meet in oct . thanks for putting this on from bicycle larry

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 207
That's a pretty one Larry! I like the green. Thanks for posting the pic. I have a black, maroon, and the blue one. I have a green frame but need some orig paint fenders.

I'll second the "it don't need a tank" motion. I like 'em both ways, but that just looks REALLY good without one.

One of mine is newer and doesn't have a tank either - but it's a '49 B-507 Autocycle Tourist - no forebrake or springer, as you can see. I have a tank for it (bought after getting the bike) that I got painted, but can't bring myself to put it on. It helped not to have the striping done.... I bought a Bob U. seat for it too (exactly as the original), and it also is still in a box.

Blue and white is VERY Cool - my '46 hanging on the wall (in the red square below) is the same color but in a condition that is far and away from ever coming back to life as original paint. It very well may end up the original colors (or some reasonable facsimile thereof) when it does get done.

Beautiful job on that one!
REC

Attachments

• Wall of Wait.jpg
    Wall of Wait.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 49 B-507.JPG
    49 B-507.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 176
I'll agree with what they said, tanks aren't everything, this is one great looking bike like it is.

Very nice! I love seeing these coming back to life. Went through this a little while back, pretty rough looking 49 B6 that needed some love. Mine was missing fenders, rack, and tank, after clean up I keep searching for parts to put it back together. Was Ok without the tank, but a NOS one came up at a Memory Lane swap, and I had to have it, also met Bob U there and sent my saddle with him for a restore. Still need the correct front fender, but this one will do for now. If you can find an OG paint tank, I say go for it! But it looks pretty sweet now! Plus they are great riding bikes! Joe
IMG_20150904_064439.jpg
IMG_20150904_064313.jpg

Back