When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusted Rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tickandtin

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello I am a newbie restoring my first project Schwinn 50s girls DX BF Goodrich hornet. I cleaned the frame with WD40 and steel wool which I am pleased with the way it came out but these rims are extremely rusted. Any feedback on how to proceed in restoring them
20150918_171450.jpg
would be appreciated.
Thanks Will

If you really want to 'restore' the rims you would have to replace the spokes, then sand the rims and use a 'glazing putty' to fill the small imperfections that are left. In the end you may be better off with another set, depends if you really want to keep the current set.

So I guess there no hope for these rims! I just saw a pair of rims on ebay what would be a good price on two wheels with hub?

Here's a before and after on a set I did. Outside looked toast, but inside the rim was very nice. Ditched the spokes but reused the nipples. It's a lot of work but very gratifying when done. They're not "restored", they're rustored. ;)
20150919_161010.jpg

Back