When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1920s Ladies Columbia?? Whirl Wind Badge

-

Firstyearchevelle

On Training Wheels
I can't find any info on this, I believe it is a 1923 Columbia but I'm not sure. Head badge reads Whirl Wind and under that it says Bamberger & co. Newark NJ which is kind of neat, Newark is not far from me and I remember Bambergers was what they called Macy's stores here in Jersey years ago. Decal on rear fender reads Pope Westfield Unfortunately the frame on this is bent and cracked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..Jim

Serial no. A296081 (the 9 could possibly be a zero)
Also on the bottom bracket C 9

DSCN2308_zps69l82n63-1.jpg

DSCN2310_zpshpwaqqpg-1.jpg

DSCN2319_zpshzad6eiy-1.jpg

DSCN2307_zpspqrldl58-1.jpg

DSCN2322_zpscengk9ii-1.jpg

DSCN2315_zpsedl1gudf.jpg

DSCN2309_zpsgth3xrjc-1.jpg

Whirl-Wind was a department store brand. It's a Westfield built bike. Westfield MFG made a lot of bikes for department store chains and hardware stores. Basically all the same bikes, but with different badges, and some times different paint schemes. Columbia was the top of the line bike line that Westfield made. For sale at bicycle shops.

I guess it could be a 1936, but the serial number on my bike is all in a straight line with no separate letter or space.

Quote from vintagecolumbiabikes:

" This starts serial numbers being stamped on frame under crank hanger. The letter preceding the serial number indicates year of manufacture. Often there will be a separate letter with 1 number near or above the serial number. The meaning of this is not fully understood but all evidence to this time indicates that this has nothing to do with the year of manufacture and the serial number. Best guess is this was a part number of the crank hanger forging itself for factory use to identify the part before it was brazed or welded onto the frame."

Back