When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre War Elgin

-

bikiba

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Hi guys

i am a bit out of my depth with everything elgin. There are a number of obvious issues with the bike. I fixed one of them today. The left crank arm was bent inwards to the point i couldnt remove it from the housing. I bent it back in to the proper position and JUST got it out.

The other issue besides the deformed fenders is one side of the fork got pushed back in transit. The way they shipped the bike was basically taking two cardboard boxes, taping them together taking off the wheels and bars and dumping it in. The fenders got warped and the fork bent. Anyway. nothing broke so i am sure i can straighten it all out. i didnt go to ebay or try to fight it out. just not worth it. i am happy to own the bike. just more work than i needed :)

So below are some pix. there are a boat load in the photobucket.

i am waiting for my delivery of oxalic acid. i am not doing a THING to this until that comes. if i can get the color back a few shades, apply a few coats of linseed oil, remove the bird poop :) ... i think it will be one sweet ride.

So anyone know how to date an elgin? i looked at old posts and everyone seems to just "know" :)

DSC04224_zps66r79cux-1.jpg

DSC04230_zpslqkrwxlv-1.jpg

DSC04265_zpsv9q3rrld-1.jpg

DSC04264_zpssgai3dxj-1.jpg

DSC04257_zpshzk0ttaq-1.jpg

DSC04250_zpstjy93yek-1.jpg

I just sold that same exact model to a fellow caber in Tennessee. Yours looks exactly like mine and mine was built by Murray and dated as a 1938 model. The one I sold had the same exact tank as well but mine was a tool box tank. Great bike and by far one of my favorite riders I've had. Great find sir and enjoy you will love how that rides once you get it put back together.

thanks for the warning! ill have to look for something else. maybe the evaporust

i tried a bit on the crank and the truss rods. did 1.5scoops in a bucket of water for 4 hours. The chainring is almost perfect. Going to wire wheel it. The truss rods are perfect.

You can try PB Blaster & a scrub brush on the regular paint. Its not as aggressive as other techniques, so you can breath easier... Also if you want to brighten up the whites, non-abrasive chrome cleaner & a toothbrush do wonders. Just watch what your doing, some of those white topcoats can be quite thin and burn thru.

Heres my Monark I'm working on using only PB Blaster & scrub brush.

Monark1.jpg
Monark2.jpg

Monark1.jpg

Monark2.jpg

Back