When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I laugh

-

cyberpaull

Finally riding a big boys bike
I laugh when I hear prices of bicycles prices from the mid-west. For example one of the post a guy asked is $250.00 ok for a beautiful Green Corvette. Here in California, that is a $500 to $600 bike all day long. I just have to laugh and shake my head. It's all I can do :)

Last edited:
I laugh when I hear prices of bicycles prices from the mid-west. For example one of the post a guy asked is $250.00 ok for a beautiful Green Corvette. Here in California, that is a $500 to $600 bike all day long. I just have to laugh and shake my head. It's all I can do :)

It was like that in the Antique Outboard club too....

I passed on a green corvette for $150 3 weeks ago that wasn't perfect but pretty nice over all. There's just more to choose from here, and a LOT of people are hurting for money here and willing to sell cheap. Us collectors can pick and choose easy.

I laugh when I sell a bike for what it's worth, then the buyer tries to flip it for what storage wars or American pickers says it's worth.

For example, I sold an original 75 swing bike that I restored, for $450. I had it on craigs for about 3 months until it finally sold.

Strangely enough, I sold it a day after american pickers aired where they found one for 250.

My old bike was on ebay for 1500. It was on there for months before it was taken down, unsold.

Ran into it again at the beach. New guy riding it. Said he bought it for $300.

I actually laughed out loud about that one. :)

It's because everything is more expensive in california, the land of excess.

I've seen dime-a-dozen collegiates out here selling for 2-300 (selling, but not being bought,) and seeing the same kinda bikes in some midwest thrift store for $25.

The key word is "selling." There's the same bikes on craigslist for months and months not going anywhere, with no reduction in price.

It's because everything is more expensive in california, the land of excess.

I've seen dime-a-dozen collegiates out here selling for 2-300 (selling, but not being bought,) and seeing the same kinda bikes in some midwest thrift store for $25.

The key word is "selling." There's the same bikes on craigslist for months and months not going anywhere, with no reduction in price.

So the keyword is "asking" if they are not being bought. Idiots all over list stuff for dream prices....hell, look at the first page on ebay collectibles transportation bicycles when you sort by highest price. Same crap that has been on there for years.

So the keyword is "asking" if they are not being bought. Idiots all over list stuff for dream prices....hell, look at the first page on ebay collectibles transportation bicycles when you sort by highest price. Same crap that has been on there for years.

You nailed it.

Here is NY I can sell a varsity full tuned up new tires, brakes, cables for $180-300. You can't believe what people here will pay. A few months ago I sold a super touched up Panther 3, single speed with no racks for $300. If someone wants it they will pay. A standard 3 speed English road bike can go for an easy $150. In the big cities its easy to sell for high prices because people are used to paying a lot for their stuff. I sold a 5 speed Schwinn tandem last year for $300 super beat up and rusted but the guy was so happy to buy couldn't give me the money fast enough.

Back