When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cutting down forks

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Buy a girls fork for your bike......and it's too long:(
Here's how to shorten it and re-thread.
The fork being shortened is a 1930's girls shockmaster to fit in the Hawthorne 5 bar I bought last Sat.

I removed the girls steering tube and placed it next to a boys. you can see how much has to be removed.
The first step is to figure how much you need to remove. the best way is to measure a boys fork that fits or taking your girls fork and placing it into the frame you are going to use and mark it in place where you will make the cut. Allow for the all the hardware that goes on your particular fork. Don't be caught short! Make sure the cups and bearings are in place when doing this.

If you are cutting down a Monark,Shelby, Columbia or post war cleaveland welding take a headset nut and thread it down to the point that it will be cut off at. Using the nut as a guide use a hacksaw to evenly cut off the excess.[see photo] and remove nut. There will be some threads left on these type forks to start your die on.

In the case of the pre war shockmaster it is much longer so I placed it in a pipe vise and used a pipe cutter to insure an even cut.

Then place the steering tube in a vice and firmly start your die cutting into the fork tube.
Use plenty of oil. liberally oil on each complete turn. Notice the oil that dripped into the rag on the floor. Not enough oil and you may ruin your die.:(

when you are down far enough ,back off continuing to oil as you unscrew the die.

Next use a dremel to cut the keyway.

If your springer has truss rods as this one has the bottom of them will have to be shortened.
Basically the same process as the steering tube X 2.

On Monark forks the front fork that supports the springs will have to be shortened and re threaded. just discard the two chrome spacers afterwards.

Monark and shelby will use their existing yoke. Columbia 's yoke will need to be replaced with a boys.
On The 53 54 monark and huffman springers the fork arms and truss rods are too long so cutting them down is not an option.

The pre war single upright hawthorne and postwar rollfast springers have a different size spring for boys and girls forks.

Last resort is to cut off {see arrow on photo] the fork tube and replace with one from another fork as shown. Notice the weld bead about an inch from the bottom. If the fork tube is too badly damaged this may be the way to go. The two pieces must be exactly aligned.
something[pipe... bolt... whatever] must be inserted into the fork tube at the joint.This will hold it straight and give some backup for the weld. Has to be no more the an inch from the bottom of the fork tube or your stem will not go all the way into the tube at handlebar time.:(
Be sure to have bottom stationary cone on before you weld together.
003.JPG
004.JPG

I have these photos a bit out of order here:( but I think you get the idea] Have fun!

005.JPG

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.jpg

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

After posting the photos of cutting the fork down I went inside, read today's paper [nothing good there] and ate a nice lunch.
Afterwards put the springer together and everything fits nice. The hunk of pipe I cut off is on the top right of photo.
Went down to the hidden parts bunker beneath Colson Command Post and found two New old stock springs!!:)
Now I want to put it on the bike and the wife just came out to Colson Command and wants ME to clean the BATHROOMS!!!!! ......RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!images.jpg

"Bathrooms? we aint got no bathrooms"

I aint cleaning no STINKIN BATHROOMS!!!!

019.JPG

images.jpg

stinking-badges-e1351004026154.jpg

Outstanding DIY tutorial. I'm dealing with a 28" prewar frame and several fork tubes that are all different. I will select one based on your guidance and make the move. Thanks!!!

what size dye is that exactly?

I inch- 24 threads per inch . they are available on some of the tool sites, also have seen them on Ebay.
Will need a Die handle . The smaller dies for the truss rods are available from Vermont tool. Ace Hdw. will have them. Don't need a die handle for the newer ones as a wrench will fit them. Use plenty of oil when using.

I've converted two girls shockmaster forks to boys - I take mine to my LBS and he threads the fork tubes down for $5.00. If I did a lot more of them it might be worth buying the tools to thread the fork tube myself.

Old thread, but...

I have a steertube die, so I thread it down as far as I need, put the fork on the bike with cups, bearings, etc, except for the top nut.

Eyeball the length of the top nut, mark it, then thread an old cone nut down for a guide, and chop it off while on the bike with a portable band saw.

File it a little, use a washer that doesnt have the tab in it so I don't need the slot, and put the nut on and ride it.

For welding a new steer tube on, I chop it off near the bottom, drill a small hole thru the tube, and thru the new steer tube, get a solid rod an inch long that fits snug in the old steer tube, sticking out a half inch, put the new steer tube over that, leaving a 1/16" gap, then weld the gap and the holes up.

Grind everything flush, so you can still get the race on and off.

Back