When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Marine Issue Columbia

-

MrColumbia

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Well, a new addition to my Columbia collection will be on it's way from California next week. It's an authentic Marine issue Columbia with the "MC" serial number designation. As is typical it has been repainted to civilian colors. The good part though is it still has most of the good stuff like the original seat with covering intact and the original handlebars and most importantly, the grips.

Johan from the Liberator tells me the wheels are not correct and it's obvious that the front sprocket and chain have been replaced with an incorrect 1/2" pitch setup. I will be looking for the correct "Coffin" chain-ring and sprocket at the very least. If anyone has one please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected].

My intention is to restore it to it's military appearance. I will be posting my progress as I make any.

Columbia-badge.jpg
Columbia-bike.jpg
columbia-cranks.jpg
columbia-serial#.jpg

GREAT FIND! If you decide to get rid of the chain ring I would be interested in it if it is a war era black ring.

I have a real set of military Heavy Duty olive Drab green rims for your bike.
$100 for a set in good condition. shipped.
LMK
JKent

I have a real set of military Heavy Duty olive Drab green rims for your bike.
$100 for a set in good condition. shipped.
LMK
JKent

Thank you but I do already have a set of those even though they are not exactly correct for the Marine issue bike I'm told. What I need is the correct hubs and "Coffin" sprocket at this point. If the correct bead lock rims are as hard to find as Johan says the bike will live with "army" issue rims until correct ones are found.

GREAT FIND! If you decide to get rid of the chain ring I would be interested in it if it is a war era black ring.

Once the bike comes in I'll let you know. I am looking to replace it with the correct sprocket. I have a couple but they are on bikes that I do not want to cannibalize.

Nice score!! I have a chainring that your looking for. Email sent.....

The Marine issue Columbia arrived yesterday. It has an interesting brass badge riveted to the frame from Chico State College. The bike came from the vicinity of that college in southern California.

I would like peoples opinion. When I restore this bike to military should I leave the badge on as a nod to it's continued history or remove it and repair the holes in the frame?

Chico State College.jpg

Back