When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 1942 WWII Columbia VG 295 , in OD Paint

-

Frank Rizzo

Look Ma, No Hands!
I thought I would post this Columbia Victory bike / VG 295 used by the US Army during the war.
I have a mens 1941 pre black out, and a Woman's 1943 , this one is cool as it has light OD paint over the factory maroon color, and the typical darker late war OD on top.
The ser. # is G82699 , 1942 , it is a 22" frame , and a 7" head tube, way bigger than my other mens VG

This is the way I received it , although it had a B&D chain on it , but I need that for a MG project I am doing.
I don't think these bikes came with B&D chains , so it might have been add at the Army base.

If any one has any new info please share. I have never seen one in the OD paint
I am going to sell this one / frame and fork- and crank set , if any one is interested , shoot me a email , [email protected]

1942 v colum 5.jpg

1942 v colum 4.jpg

1942 v colum 6.jpg

1942 v colum 2.jpg

1942 v colum 1.jpg

I'm now the proud owner of this frame. I have rims, hubs, spokes and pedals to finish this off. I'm on the hunt for fenders, seat post, seat and handlebars for this bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1942lieghtweights.jpg

Last summer I found an all original Vg296 Women's model... Let me know if I can be of help with detailed pictures of the common parts...
You have my email...

Cheers,

Johan

Thanks Johan! I have a complete woman's Vg 296 that I am restoring for a friend of mine so I think I have all the correct parts I'll need to hunt down. I'm currently up to my neck in restoration projects! Which is a good thing. All the Best!

Vg 295

Thanks Johan! I have a complete woman's Vg 296 that I am restoring for a friend of mine so I think I have all the correct parts I'll need to hunt down. I'm currently up to my neck in restoration projects! Which is a good thing. All the Best!

Hey Boz,

Here are a couple of pics of my 1942 Vg 295 ( has the Sport's Tourist decal on the frame neck to lower bracket tube ) I set it up to look like a newsboy bike . Even has a circa 1941 flashlight and Columbia script grips.

Regards, Bill
100_2142.jpg
100_2154.jpg

Great bike, Bill

What tires are you running on your Vg295?

Hi Johan,

The bike came with two war tires. One was a Fisk Air-Flyte and the other a Good Year. I removed the war tires and installed a pair of period Good Year tires that I had (not war tires ). So now both tires are Good Year with the ribbed style treads. Also, both are 26x1.375 tires.

Regards, Bill

I've been using the Schwinn S6 tires on my 26x1.375 rims with great success when I can't find good 26x1.375 tires. Most of my riders use the Schwinn S6 tires.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hey Boz,

Here are a couple of pics of my 1942 Vg 295 ( has the Sport's Tourist decal on the frame neck to lower bracket tube ) I set it up to look like a newsboy bike . Even has a circa 1941 flashlight and Columbia script grips.

Regards, BillView attachment 253269View attachment 253270
That's a great bike Bill. Here is my daily rider a 1942 Road Master Victory Model built by Cleveland Welding Company. I just picked up a second one for restoration a few weeks ago. They were only produced in January and February of 1942.
694a465c3da544026823297635718e25-1.jpg

I've been using the Schwinn S6 tires on my 26x1.375 rims with great success when I can't find good 26x1.375 tires. Most of my riders use the Schwinn S6 tires.

Hi Boz,

The S-6 tires are nice. Kenda makes a nice tire for S-6 rims and they are a similar match for the Schwinn Whirl-Wind light weight war tires that came on my matching men's and women's 1942 Schwinn New World Victory bikes.

Regards, Bill

Back