When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Year of a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne?

-

jeep girl

Finally riding a big boys bike
It is a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "fat tire" bike but that's all I know. How do I figure out the year? Thanks.:o
Sorry, I can't upload a pic for some reason.

Last edited:
Like other questions like this, we will need the serial number.

As for pics, put them on a host website first (like for example, www.Photobucket.com). Then copy and paste the IMG code to your post. Submit and DONE!

Get a good shot of the chainguard side of the bike, and the head badge, as they changed every few years. We should be able to tell which co. built it for Wards', and get within a couple years. That # may be part of a serial #, the digits may be filled with paint. First place I would look is the bottom bracket (where the crank goes thru the frame.)

Serial #

I got the 65EH off the area where the crank goes hrough the frame.
I have another # from the rear drop out. 212925:confused:
HEY, I got ONE pic to work! I'll try to get more!

Attachments

• Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 003.jpg
    Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 003.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 146
More pics...

I guess I need to make the pics real SMALL in order for them to work. I'll try to get the frame.

Attachments

• Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 005.jpg
    Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 005.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 001.JPG
    Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 001.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 111
Frame

This is the best I can do.:o

Attachments

• Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 001.JPG
    Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 001.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 004.JPG
    Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 004.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 002.jpg
    Montgomery Ward Hawthorne 002.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 108
Looking at copies of original catalog pages, in the Elgin/JC Higgins/Hawthorne book, I'd say 1957-59. The red & blue crest badge satrted in 1950, skip tooth drives were gone after 55. The wishbone style rear frame stays, and the rows of connected holes in the rear dropouts show up in 57. The 1960 pages are the last in the book, and they don't show any frames with a second straight bar like yours. And it was made by the Snyder co., same as their house brand, Rollfast.

Last edited:
Does 65EH sound like a serial # ?:rolleyes:
65EH reads like a date-place code for 1965 <EDIT> 1956 built at the Excelsior factory in Michigan City Ind., closer to Montgomery Ward in Chicago and their early store in Plymouth.

So we have seen examples of 1956 Snyder-built bicycles with 6-digits serial numbers on the left rear fork end, with a “C” prefix, a “B” prefix, and no prefix at all. Makes one wonder when this method started or how long it might have continued and how many bicycles was Snyder producing in a year.

The frame style looks like a middleweight (1.75”) tire model (see yoke at seat post cluster), but may fit 2.125” balloon tires also.

There once was a member Marshall from Ryderwood, or the greater Cowlitz area.

Last edited:
Back