When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn springer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BLWNMNY

I live for the CABE
I have a question, is there any difference between a Schwinn heavyweight and middleweight springer? if so? what are the visible differences? Thanks! Chris

i think the middleweight springer pivot bolt go's through the center of the leg and the balloon pivot bolt go's behind the leg

I went and looked at the ones I have.the pivot behind the legs was 54 and earlier,so all later forks have the pivot bolt through the legs.There wasn't any obvious differences that I could see,but my eyes aren't so great.hopefully someone can say for sure or I'll be taking them down for closer comparison.

No difference regarding MW or HW. As mentioned above, the design changed in '54, meaning that the Middleweights were only ever spec'd with the bolt-through-leg style springers. You can toss an early style bolt-behind-leg springer on a Middleweight, it'll fit and function just fine, just note that the fender mount hole will have to be re-drilled.
Cheers, Geoff

So to add to this... I've got an early springer I was going to put on my 59 Jaguar. Is there any way to still use the front caliper brake?

So to add to this... I've got an early springer I was going to put on my 59 Jaguar. Is there any way to still use the front caliper brake?

I don't think so, not with the early springers. Get an aftermarket springer with the hole in the bottom of the steer tube if you want to use the caliper brake. There was a retrofit bracket that was use to mount a caliper brake on the Schwinn blade fork that wasn't drilled but I really doubt it will work on an old springer.

speaking of springers....

Below is a selection of springers that illustrate what Schwinn offered over the years.
The 1st. photo shows left to right a pre war "super" locking springer , early post war non locking, Later post war locking, Phantom locking and non locking ;last but least a 1995 re issue phantom locking.

Worth noting that the super springer has a greater curve to the upper fork ends .photo #2
001.JPG
004.JPG
002.jpg
003.jpg

photo 2 and 3 has a post war fork along side of it for comparison. If that "restored" pre war Motor bike you want to purchase doesn't have the curved fork arms and both fork axle slots are open and "fat" truss rods..... well I'am just saying......
the last photo shows how to tell a re issued 1995 springer: the fork tube weld[ that's about 2 inches up from the crown] is not ground smooth, and the lock is kinda cheapo. Other then that it was well made and hard to tell from the original.
sorry I don't have any of the late 50's springers to illustrate. Hope this helps.:)Also note the re issued 1995 springer had a "stiffer" spring in it....a good thing.

Ahhhh, thanks tinker! I see a difference in the pre and post war dropouts. The slot and hole sides were switched.

Back