When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm new here- '38? Schwinn Excelsior

-
M

malloy1

Hello-

I'm new here and I have an old Schwinn Excelsior that I picked up in a friend's old barn about 15-20 years ago. It's pretty much all there (mother-in-law was good enough to throw away the fender's :mad:), but rough. I'll post some pictures of it in a day or two (I can post pictures here, right? I have a photobucket account)

When I first got it (around 1993) I did some research, but the WWW wasn't really going then. Somebody did tell me that the manufacturing date was on the crank. I did remove the crank and there was an "38" on it (it's taken apart now). I assume it's a '38 Schwinn Excelsior.

The serial number is B86731. Any info on it would be appreciated.

I've been thinking about getting it back together to get it back on the road. I will need some parts (tires, pedals, handle bars, gooseneck, bearings etc) and it needs a paint job (would like it to look original, but may just throw some paint on it to get it back on the road).

Paul

Here's some pictures (will post more later of when it was pulled from the barn:(

BadgeSchwinn-1.jpg

38Schwinn3sm-1.jpg

It does have a kick stand that mounts behind the rear tire (not in picture).
38SchwinnSN-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume it's a '38 Schwinn Excelsior.

The serial number is B86731. Any info on it would be appreciated.

Hi Paul,

That's a '39 DX frame just like my Schwinn Ace that I posted about a few weeks ago, SN B21178
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7806

Often you'll find that the cranks are a bit older because of the inventory lag at the factory.

One just like it sold for $305 on ebay for only the frame, fork and crank.

These are very popular with the clunker crowd:
http://clunkers.net/

Have fun!
Jeff

Last edited:
Hi Paul

Welcome to the Cabe. Schwinn only made a frame with 'ears' for a rear dropstand one year. Thats a pretty good score, it is too bad about the fenders, but you should be able to find a suitable replacement here or on Ebay

Here's what the bike looked in '93 when I pulled it from my friend's barn:

SchwinnBarn-1.jpg

Would like to get some paint on it and put it back together. Would like to get the two-tone paint (blue/biege) like original . Don't really care if the chrome is shiny or not. Does anybody make stencils to get the borders between the two colors looking right? Like this style (in blue, just the paint style, not the modernization:(

orange_01_tn-1.jpg

Does anybody make reproduction parts (i.e. fenders, pedals, tires, bearings)?

Paul

forget the stencils!

(sorry if its someone here)
youre better off measuring and masking it off yourself....
i used them on my wifes bike and it was a huge p.i.t.a. took about 2 hours to get them to line up right and straight when it wouldve taken about 30 minutes to lay them out myself with fine line(yeah i timed the next one i did:eek: ) and mask everything
as for parts...try to avoid repops they never look quite right try posting an wanted add in the for sale section im sure someone would have the things you need(or if you really dont mind repops memorylane is a good place too look)

(sorry if its someone here)
youre better off measuring and masking it off yourself....
i used them on my wifes bike and it was a huge p.i.t.a. took about 2 hours to get them to line up right and straight when it wouldve taken about 30 minutes to lay them out myself with fine line(yeah i timed the next one i did:eek: ) and mask everything

I won't disagree that the templates are tricky to get on straight... especially if you try to do it solo, but my armature painter buddy and I did my C-model together last fall and it wasn't too bad -- one guy to lay each spear down while the other holds the loose ones off the frame.

If you're good at taping, I could definitely see how that could be faster.

P1100753-1.jpg

P1100762-1.jpg

Well, I would try and rescue the original paint. Try using xxxx steel wool and WD40 to see what is left of the paint. You would be amazed at the results achievable. If you do stencils, they work great. I purchased a set of Dx frame stencils and did my Dx frame, turned out nice. Not real easy, tho.
NICE BIKE! What diameter are the rims/tires?

I won't disagree that the templates are tricky to get on straight... especially if you try to do it solo, but my armature painter buddy and I did my C-model together last fall and it wasn't too bad -- one guy to lay each spear down while the other holds the loose ones off the frame.

Jeff-

Did you get the stencil from that ebay seller (oldstuff4yousheepdog) mentioned in an earlier post?

The finished job looks good! Is that a rattle can paint job (I see somebody on ebay sells Schwinn restoration paint in a can [vintageschwinn]) or did you use a sparay gun?

Paul

Well, I would try and rescue the original paint. Try using xxxx steel wool and WD40 to see what is left of the paint. You would be amazed at the results achievable.

38Schwinn3sm-1.jpg

No way to save the original paint. Thin is an overstatement. Most is missing, leaving very minor surface rust over a good part of it.

I purchased a set of Dx frame stencils and did my Dx frame, turned out nice. Not real easy, tho.

Did you get the stencil from that ebay seller (oldstuff4yousheepdog) mentioned in an earlier post? Did you do the pinstriping details on the forks and rims?

What diameter are the rims/tires?

Aren't all the rims the same diameter? 26" right? Will check that out tonight.

I do have some newbie questions about rims (disassembling, painting, etc.). I see terms like S-2 rims? Is there a section or thread (sticky?) that gives some information on the different rims used?

The rims appear to be straight (including the spokes), but if the frame/forks are painted, I think the rims will get the same treatment.

Paul

Back