When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool Pope Pic

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

filmonger

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In Memoriam
Nice Pope Photo - dealership in Canada.

s-l1600.jpg

So cool back then. I wish I was their with a 1000$ in my pocket

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I opened this thread, I expected to find a cool picture of Albert, but the old dealership picture is way cooler!
83b3a308b9325f33c483db67885f3d9d-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great picture, I wouldn't mind having just one of those little Brantford sign, must be pre-1899???
can anyone ID any bikes in there?

Last edited by a moderator:
great picture, I wouldn't mind having just one of those little Brantford sign, must be pre-1899???
can anyone ID any bikes in there?

It's really hard to tell, but I think the motorcycle with the sidecar on the far side of the picture is a 61 cu spring frame model.
The spring frame wasn't introduced until 1913.
912f1ccabb2253e1883de76ac019bba4-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On its 25th anniversary, PBS re ran the Ken Burns documentary on the American Civil War.

With my interest in old bicycles and Col. Albert Pope being the father of the American bicycle industry, I wanted to know more about his military record and service with the Union Army during the Civil War.

Albert Pope joined the 1st company, 35th Massachusetts Volunteer Regiment on August 27th, 1862, as a second lieutenant. By the time Albert would return to civilian life just a short three years later, he had endured extreme hardship and hunger, led thousands of men into battle, escaped death in desperate circumstances and fought within yards of such legendary Generals as Ulysses S. Grant, William Tecumseh Sherman and Ambrose Burnside.

He fought in the battles of Antietam, Fredricksburg, and Vicksburg.

Pope kept a journal, and to just get an idea of the man and the times he lived, here is one excerpt from the battle of Antietam.

" As we advanced up the hill, we met ambulances full of wounded and men on strechers being borne off the field. The cannonading was awful, the rattle of musketry very sharp.
We halted behind a fence, the men threw forward their pieces, the long line projecting over the fence. The rebels were piled up in the woods pretty thick. We had to step over them and walk through rebel blood."

The battle of Antietam would match General, George McClellans Union forces against the army of General, Robert E. Lee, and would claim 23,110 dead, wounded, or missing: and would be the bloodiest day of the entire War.

Last edited:
Dam - That is cool... maybe someone should do a thread on each of the Titans of the day!

Back