When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 Huffman Military Bike in rare form

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HUFFMANBILL

Finally riding a big boys bike
After owning this bike for almost 9 years and from time to time trying to decide how I wanted to restore it, either WWII OD or as I received it in post-WWII circa 1950 USAF strata blue, I decided on the blue. It is somewhat of a rustoration/restoration mix. Original strata blue remains on the bike with areas of two shades of original OD showing through where the blue has chipped away. A few repairs were made and a few replacement parts were installed. Also a few additional items were added for display.

Due to the location the bike came from approx. 25 years ago, the date codes on a few of the Eclipse rear Hub internal parts and the numbers 1452 painted on the front fender, I believe that this bike may have been used by the 1452nd AES ( Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron ) at Westover AFB, Mass. circa 1950. The two metal plates welded between the upper frame tubes with United States Air Force painted was original to the bike when I received it.

What is also very unusual about this bike is that the lower truss rod bracket on the front fork is not a separate part as on 99.9% of other WWII Huffman/Columbia military bikes. On this bike it is an integral part of the front forks. Also, the serial number D50158 has a 677 stamped above it and 1942 below. At present I am aware of only 3 other Huffman WWII models with the same lower truss rod bracket setup. All 3 other bikes have a serial number range close to, but slightly higher then mine, all 3 have the 677 stamp and the 1942 stamp.

Due to the medical nature of the AES squadrons, My display items on the bike are a reflection of this.

Regards, Bill
100_2418.jpg
100_2413.jpg
100_2427.jpg
100_2426.jpg
100_2429.jpg
100_2425.jpg
100_2422.jpg

100_2418.jpg

100_2413.jpg

100_2427.jpg

100_2426.jpg

100_2429.jpg

100_2425.jpg

100_2422.jpg

Looks great like it sits to me, but if it's an important military bike, it's should be brought back to its OG form. You should know, I know nothing about military bikes.

Looks great like it sits to me, but if it's an important military bike, it's should be brought back to its OG form. You should know, I know nothing about military bikes.

Rob, thanks for your input. Like I wrote, it took me about 9 years to decide for sure how I wanted to restore this bike. The other 3 with the odd lower truss bracket and similar serial number setup that I am aware of are each in their original WWII OD finish. Since mine was the only one that was finished (over 2 coats of OD ) in post 1947 USAF Strata blue, I felt that it would be historically a sin to remove it's post WWII Military history. I think that it is really neat that the original WWII OD paint is visible in numerous places where the blue has chipped away, which reveals part of it's WWII history, while at the same time that it's post WWII Military history is preserved. Personally, I have never seen a WWII Military Columbia/Huffman in original post-WWII USAF colors.

Regards, Bill

You're right bill, preserve the history and leave it be. It has such a great and unique look.

Hey Bill,
Personally I wouldn't touch it. Your last comments are so true. It shows so much history that any attempts to refinish it would destroy that part of it. There are a bunch of restored bikes out there so please keep it as it is.
As for the colors I believe that all of the military issued bikes came in OD. I though I had read that the contract called for all the bikes to be painted OD. I would assume that it would be up to the commander of each base to have the bike painted to that service branch designated colors.
I have two original 42' Columbia mens bikes that are overpainted. One has a darker OD green repaint that looks to be the colors from the Korean era thru early Vietnam. It also has what I would describe as multiple motor pool repairs and mismatched Columbia/Huffman parts.. The other came out of Tinker Airforce base in OK. It was mfg in 42 but has a 1971 base inventory tag from The Military Airlift Squadron on the fender. It is painted a yellow color but has some chipping that you can see OD under.. I have talked to a mechanic that was stationed at a airbase in 68' he told me that the bikes used on the flight line during his tour were painted that color. So with the tag and his recollection I am confident that it was originally OD but then overpainted by the airforce. I wouldn't restore either of these. We have to keep these pieces of history as they are.
Nice Bike!! Thanks for posting it.
Tom

Last edited:
My 1942 Huffman must be one of the others with the fixed lower truss rod brackets that Bill refers to.....

D5054631Dec13-1.jpg

The manual Huffman picture also shows these brackets..

HuffmanJPG-1.jpg

Here's a WW2 picture from my collection showing the same set-up...

Huffman1942-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive input to Rob and Tom. Tom my bike has an original base coat of a lighter shade of OD with a darker. possibly post war darker shade of OD over the lighter shade. I am assuming that the bike may have been at Westover during WWII and after 1947 when the USAAF became the USAF the top coat of air force strata blue with the yellow chromate markings was added. However, where ever this bike was located during it's military years, it appears to be a really nice military history of WWII and post WWII Air Force paint scheme.

Yes, Johan your 1942 military Huffman restoration was one of the other unusual Huffman types that I was referring. The other two that I am aware of are located in Texas and I believe Washington State. Three in the US and one in Belgium.

Regards, Bill

Bill,
I like your bike a lot. I appreciate the way it shows the history of it's military use and repurposed again by the military for several years. Even the chain guard found it's way onto your bike somewhere in that timeline. My 1943 Huffman was covered in 6 or 7 extra coats of paint and no known history. I wish I'd have known more of it's individual use. Have you considered spraying a non-gloss clear over it to preserve it in your bike's current state. I'm sure it will be great whatever you decide. Great bike and have fun with it.
Regards,
Josh

Bill,
I like your bike a lot. I appreciate the way it shows the history of it's military use and repurposed again by the military for several years. Even the chain guard found it's way onto your bike somewhere in that timeline. My 1943 Huffman was covered in 6 or 7 extra coats of paint and no known history. I wish I'd have known more of it's individual use. Have you considered spraying a non-gloss clear over it to preserve it in your bike's current state. I'm sure it will be great whatever you decide. Great bike and have fun with it.
Regards,
Josh

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the positive comments. Even though I felt that it was necessary to change out a few of the parts, I wanted in the end to maintain it's WWII as well as it's post WWII Military history. As for the non-gloss clear, I do not think I will go that way. The bike's finish has lasted this long and I suppose will last longer then me.

Regards, Bill

Back