When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Klunker build

-

Dutch

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello everybody, I just joined the forum and introduced myself in the introducing topic.
My name is Jeroen, 40 y.o. from Holland, and have been mountainbiking since 1990.
Since 2005 I got the bug for vintage bikes when I bought the bike I was drooling over when I was 15 (and had to buy a low end Dutch brand).
When I was looking for info on this bike I found Retrobike.UK and that started a decade of collecting bikes, meeting and riding with a lot of other collectors, reading and learning a lot about the history of MTB's and its origin in the fat tire bikes.
My interest shifted more and more from early 90's to mid '80 to early '80 and at last to the converted pre-war Schwinn's from Kelly, Fisher, Bonds etc.
I read a lot of posts and articles of these bikes, and got the itch to build one my self.
I've started collecting parts almost two years a go, first thing I bought was the most important, a pre-war Schwinn (maybe Excelsior?) frame with a lot of rust, but luckely good enough to use.
The rust was superficial, a lot of pist, but not to deep.
All the parts are here, all I need is now is the space and time to paint it and get building.

I got some questions about the brakes, I hope you can help me.
I want to use this as a rider, so decided to not build a replica of the first geared klunkers with the drum brakes and steel rims but a bit later version with the alloy rims and canti's.
I had a conversation via mail with Alan Bonds about using canti brakes and he told me (and has some pics) he had some bikes from around '78 with Schwinn canti's wich he modified to use with motorbike brake levers and Mafac or Dia Compe brakes, so only using the mounts on the forks ans seatstays.

So my question is; did anyone here do such a modification, or used other mounts or solutions for canti's on a Schwinn frame with blade forks?

Here are some pics of the build.

How I got the frame

p4pb10227628-1.jpg

After sand blasting and spray plaster

p4pb11818609-1.jpg

p4pb11818608-1.jpg

Some of the parts

]http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb10398313/p4pb10398313.jpg[/img]

p4pb10398128-1.jpg

Looks like a great start. The clamp on canti brakes would be my choice with a blade fork. New pads would be a good upgrade.

Oh no, another good frame about to be modified.
We would usually replace the blade fork with a Cook Bros fork with canti mounts. Another option for you if you want to keep the blade fork is Schwinn made clamp-on cantilever brakes that will fit on the blade fork.

Gonna be cool! I say braze-away: nothing "rare" here and no original paint to preserve. If by some long-shot chance a person wants to "restore" this bike down the road, it's easy to remove canti bosses before paint.

Do whatever you want.
There is nothing special there
You have already made it more interesting /it will
Be cool to see when it's done. You have all the right parts to make a proper klunker. The earliest klunker builds
We're before cooks bros.or Gary Fischer ect. They were the first down hill/mountain bike. Most early examples I've seen are using the parts you have gathered.

Just go for it.

Hi Dutch .. Looks like your going to have a cool Klunker with a mix of old and new.. Schwinn had factory front caliper brakes on blade forks way back in 1955.. The Schwinn American had them and once in while they come up on ebay.. As far as what you need for the rear try checking out BMX Museum.. I've seen some 26" cruiser that had that type of set up with after market mounts..

Back