When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Columbia special help!!!

-

kstarkusa

Finally riding a big boys bike
Needs some help here.. What is the best way to straighten this fork, any help would be appreciated
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The old fashioned way; when we were kids, we'd turn the bike up side down, remove the front wheel. Sit on the ground in front of bike, put feet on peddles & pull fork toward you. Nowadays, I'll carefully heat it up to straighten 'em. Not good for the patina though.

See the post" Shortening the Monark springer " under the project bikes thread posted on 10/31/ 15.
This is the most precise way to straighten any fork. It straightens the fork within the confines of your bikes headtube. Evenly applying pressure to both fork blades to the exact area it was bent back .
By ramming it into a wall you risk ruining your fork or the frame.By taking the fork off and doing it in a vise it will tend to bend where the vise jaws are clamped on the fork tube. You may straighten the fork , but also may damage or buckle your fork tube.:(
By using the jack you have control :)

Last edited:
See the post" Shortening the Monark springer " under the project bikes thread posted on 10/31/ 15.
This is the most precise way to straighten any fork. It straightens the fork within the confines of your bikes headtube. Evenly applying pressure to both fork blades to the exact area it was bent back .
By ramming it into a wall you risk ruining your fork or the frame.By taking the fork off and doing it in a vise it will tend to bend where the vise jaws are clamped on the fork tube. You may straighten the fork , but also may damage or buckle your fork tube.:(
By using the jack you have control :)

Good Form - that, Tinker !

In addition .. here is an illustration i made for a CABEr
about checking that the top o' the fork legs are parallel
with the dropouts.

....... patric

fork 001.jpg

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try one of those methods out, but for right now I'm going to look for a replacement fork, just I case something goes wrong haha

Looking forward to seeing this one cleaned up with the fork straightened and back on the road!
Unusual Westfield frame and fork darts, post a pic of the headbadge when you can.

Back