When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why are people pissed about the show american pickers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
C

Cole Lower

i was wondering why people are mad about the show pickers. do you feel that thay ar giving false impresions.

I think the show is entertaining. I just dont care for the way they show falls proffit. They buy something for 10.00 and say it's valued at 90.00 is a bunch c#@p.! Everybody knows something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the time and that doesnt meen you could sell another at that price. I would be OK with it if they were actually selling the stuff they bought then showing a profit. I guess I will shut up now. You asked. Rust rules!!!!!

In some cases they do show what they claim is the "sold" price, other times its "valued". I looked at Mikes eBay seller feedback and saw that they actually LOST money on those ships porthole windows. They claimed to have paid $60 but they sold for $50 something. At least when it comes to the bikes, they are downplaying the value. I see nothing to worry about with this show. If anything, they are bringing awareness to the vintage bicycle hobby, showing people that old bicycles are cool and collectible.

Last edited by a moderator:
What everyone needs to realize is that the show is produced for entertainment. Everything is pre arranged, the seller has a contract with the tv company and there is a camera crew on the property.

Couple things. I think that it is one thing when people come to you, as in Pawn Stars. Anyone going to a pawn shop knows what to expect. When you go to someones house unsolicited and come across as an authority and with cash, well, theere are bound to be some issues. This is a new approach to most people, so there is no precidence.
The other thing I noticed is how these guys claim that if they don;t pick, they won;t be able to fill the tank? Don;t be fooled by that. Last I knew, Mike has various rental properties, that is what allows him to be on the road as much as he is. Besides, pretty foolish statement when you consider he has to pay to pick, so not having money to fill the tank?
All that being said, I agree that the show is entertaining and I really like the fact that they have had bicycles or bicycle parts on every episode so far. This can only be good for the hobby as far as possibly generating new interest.

It's a cool show. That's all it is.

Also, don't begrudge the pickers out there, because a lot of the stuff they are literally unearthing in some cases , would be lost to the ages if they hadn't pulled it out of a pile somewhere and got it back into circulation.
For the most part, the hoarders don't want to sell anything. They really don't need to. They, like most of us, just like knowing that they have something rare and disireable in their possession.
The pickers are only in it for the profit. So, at least what they find, is up for sale.

They did make a good point on an episode I watched last night... The internet messed up a lot of the culture of collectibles. I have been a huge fan & collector/addict of the "vintage racing bicycles" of the 1960s-1980s. You used to have to "know the guy" who had parts. We communicated via mail & telephone, with the occasional face-to-face interaction. Once people went on-line, this pretty much ceased to be the norm. People everywhere can auction off parts, bikes, or what have you. On the flip side... I have found antique bicycles on-line (including the CABE) that I would have never found otherwise. I still think that Pickers, like THe Biggest Loser, won't really have a huge impact on us, other than the person that has something they think is worth a lot (when it ain't). Anyone want any beanie babys??? (joking)...

My grandfather was an autioneer for 50 years and he was doing this back in the 40s...its nothing new, just never called pickers. I've stopped at many homes over the years and never had a problem, sometimes I just stop in to look and I've made a lot of friends. I stopped at a house last year with a killer model A in the driveway, just wanted to look, guy came out and told me all about it, great guy and I still stop in to BS with him.

Having said that there are bad pickers. I was at my Moms house a couple weeks after my father died and some guy rolled in with a list of things he buys. I showed him some stuff ( same as on his list) and he never bought a thing. I had him figured out pretty quick and almost smacked him, after a few choice words he was walking backwards to his van. No doubt he wanted to deal with Mom and not me! I told a friend of mine about it, who is an antique dealer, he said folks go thru the obituaries then seek out the elderly surviving spouse hoping no other family members will be there..now thats sick.

Back