When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Spitfire Wheel Conundrum

-
S

Santa Cruiser

A buddy gave me a rusty '56 Schwinn Spitfire that I've been using for a daily rider. I can't help myself from doing another shade tree restoration and am starting on the wheels. I cut the spokes out of both painted and pinstriped rims and realized the front wheel was a drop center and the back wheel was an S-7. The front hub was scripted Schwinn approved from Germany and the back hub says Perry B-100, England on the brake arm. The cream paint and red pinstripes matched on both. Is this some crazy mismatch?

nothing unusual, the front hub and the rear hub not matching. On most three speeds the rear hub is Sturmey Archer and the front hub , they used those german hubs or other ones. On a Schwinn Heavy Duti same thing,,front hub was german back hub could of been mexican or american. Nothing strange at all.

Post some pics.

Does it have a cantilever frame? A late '56 would be a middleweight,using that style frame and S-7 rims.The Perry hub makes sense as this is an entry level model. I'd have to see that front rim,Schwinn was making thier own rims for a long time by then,it could have been swapped during a repair,bent rim or axle.Who knows?

Pat

When I first started in this hobby 25 years ago I found and sold numerous middle weight sshwinns . Most had the 2 styles of winged chainguard-50s. Single speed rear hubs that I worked on were Bendix-RB-RB2 Schwinn Approved(Komet) New departure. They all had S-7 rims. The S-7 is a little taller than a drop center rim and used a 1 3/4 tire-Westwind or Tractor. Drop center rims take a 1.75 tire. Schwinn also made a spitfire tire that was 1 3/4. The perry B-100 Ive seen more on an Evans or Huffy and I in my opinion is a much better hub than a bendix because of roller bearings on driving sleeve. I have seen Schwinn approved (Germany) on front hub of era. Pistol Pete Port Huron,Mi.

Back