When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K- series Sturmey

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The Model K is the predecessor to the Model AW, but also was produced alongside the AW for a brief period. Gear ratio should be basically the same as the AW.

There are major differences in the K series of hubs, depending on whether the hub is from before or after 1933. It is noteworthy here that the K underwent several changes to the parts over the course of its life. A 1933-37 K hub (and especially 1936-37) has quite a bit common with the early AW, whereas the pre-1933 K hub is much more different from the AW internally.

These changes were often made to simplify and cheapen production of the hubs. The AW is a bit simpler and was apparently cheaper to produce than the K, though the later K hubs shared more features in common with the AW than the earlier K hubs. The AW (and maybe the very late K, to the extent AW parts may work) is MUCH easier to get replacement parts for today. The K and the AW were also produced at the same time for a brief period in 1936-37.

I encourage you to read Tony Hadland's fact sheet on the K. Hadland is a wealth of knowledge about all things Sturmey (and Raleigh). He has written several good books on these subjects.

https://hadland.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/k-series-s-a-hubs.pdf

In the U.S., I would rate the rarity as:

pre-1933 K model: rare to find in the U.S.
1933-37 K model: uncommon but can be found with some looking/patience.
Early AW: not very common, but turn up several times per year on eBay and similar. More common than K.
Post-war AW: common in the U.S.

The Model K is the predecessor to the Model AW, but also was produced alongside the AW for a brief period. Gear ratio should be basically the same as the AW.

There are major differences in the K series of hubs, depending on whether the hub is from before or after 1933. It is noteworthy here that the K underwent several changes to the parts over the course of its life. A 1933-37 K hub (and especially 1936-37) has quite a bit common with the early AW, whereas the pre-1933 K hub is much more different from the AW internally.

These changes were often made to simplify and cheapen production of the hubs. The AW is a bit simpler and was apparently cheaper to produce than the K, though the later K hubs shared more features in common with the AW than the earlier K hubs. The AW (and maybe the very late K, to the extent AW parts may work) is MUCH easier to get replacement parts for today. The K and the AW were also produced at the same time for a brief period in 1936-37.

I encourage you to read Tony Hadland's fact sheet on the K. Hadland is a wealth of knowledge about all things Sturmey (and Raleigh). He has written several good books on these subjects.

https://hadland.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/k-series-s-a-hubs.pdf

In the U.S., I would rate the rarity as:

pre-1933 K model: rare to find in the U.S.
1933-37 K model: uncommon but can be found with some looking/patience.
Early AW: not very common, but turn up several times per year on eBay and similar. More common than K.
Post-war AW: common in the U.S.
Thank you
I’m going to one of my favorite co-ops today to see that I can find for my project⤵️
Hope I can find it

I have an early K (drum brake) hub. Alldays has esclusive rights to the K when it was introduced. My K hub stamped A ----is it an early Allday?

Back