When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial Varsities

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Matt, The bike looks great! I have seen 2 of the Jr. Varsity Bicentennial bikes in the last month and both are in rough condition. I think finding 24 inch gum wall tires might be hard to find for these bikes. Tim

That was my concern too. The bike had one original tire, but the gum wall dried up over the many years in the deflated position and when pumped up delaminated in big chunks from the carcass and did not hold air. The other tire was not original and looked bad. When I dismounted the original tire the the sidewall became history for sure. I was able to buy the correct size 24 X 1/1/4 gums walls, even has the correct 7 rib tread pattern, A very good repo. just does not have "Schwinn" ,etc on the sidewalls. Made by Kenda, Marketed by Sunlite, on sale for $9.,00 each (Typically $15 range at most on-line). Very happy with them. Both tubes were original, one with a thorn hole, a good old fashion patch fixed that.
Got the tires on line from Brands Cycle (got them pretty fast, no issues at all) if anyone is searching.

Matt. Thanks for the info on the tires. It’s good to know they are available, Looks like I need a Jr one to go with the other two. Tim

Tim
I have seen a few pictures of "his and hers", but none of the "family", that would be unique. If I find another one set out on the curb on trash day, it's yours.!!!

Thanks Matt, Tim

301D7DB6-7D78-49D4-B5FF-15E402C6611F.jpeg

B339E9F8-7E1B-48F8-AE58-AC26BC220E58.jpeg

70A36ECC-E9A9-4131-A3D1-36943CE5C092.jpeg

-----

Thanks so much for sharing your bikes Tim & Matt! ;)

Much appreciated here.

Question regarding pedals -

Noticed that the two adult examples wear what appears to be a Schwinn Approved version of the Cecor 300 RT RS or the Cecor 370 while the Jr. wears what looks to be the Schwinn Approved version of the UnionFrondenberg U40 (or similar). Do you know if it the case that factory pedal specification was different for the adult snd Jr. versions? Or perhaps more than one model was used during the production due to a shortage?

2yvw3du.jpg

Thanks for any information. :)

Thank you again for sharing your fine work.

Roger

-----

Last edited:
Roger,
My Jr. Varsity wears the UnionFrondenberg, as you mentioned. And I would be 99% sure that is how it came from the factory.
I worked in 3 different Schwinn shops from 1971 -1977 (jr high-part of college), but can not answer your question (was a long time ago). However, I do remember on occasion bikes coming from the factory with parts not stamped "Schwinn Approved" (had the manufacturers name instead) cables that needed to be cut down (for another model) probably due to shortages or a supplier mistake and some slight differences of some products (i.e. handle bar tape that was a shade off, not as transparent, etc) probably a different supplier. But this was more common in the earlier 70's during the huge shortage years. I remember telling people we have no Varsities (as an example) for sell, this is a floor model, not for sale, only for people to see, to place an order. You can get one in about 6-8 weeks (if you are lucky). Repair shop backed up, 6 weeks wait for a repair (unless it was a flat tire or a 30 day checkup). It was crazy!!.
I bet we sold 50 adult Varsities to every Jr. Varsity. So while I assembled/repaired a ton of Varsities, only a handful of Jr. Varsities and do not recall if the pedal were different, unfortunately. I do remember the Jr had narrower handlebars and I believe shorter crank arms and maybe a shorter kickstand. Otherwise, all the same parts as the adult.
From a manufacturing standpoint, if both frames are made at the same location (I am not sure) and boxed at the same location, why would you try to keep two interchangeable parts separate? Would just add more work and possible delays if a shortage of one of the manufacture's part. But who knows.
When trying to figure it out, make sure to compare same year (maybe even same month manufactured) adult Varsity to Jr Varsity. Both models may have changed, if Schwinn changed manufactures.
Sorry I could have not been more help. Been a long time ago and we just looked at the other end of the pedal (for the "R" and "L") as a kid when working on them :)
Post the answer if you find out!!! Good luck!!!

Would you like another one? I have one that I got when I was 10 and it deserves someone who will bring it back to life. You did an amazing job on those bikes!

I have it at the shop now, but am not sure it is worth it for me to pay them to tune it. It needs paint, decals, new tires and tubes as well as the red tape on the handlebars

Would you like another one? I have one that I got when I was 10 and it deserves someone who will bring it back to life. You did an amazing job on those bikes!

I have it at the shop now, but am not sure it is worth it for me to pay them to tune it. It needs paint, decals, new tires and tubes as well as the red tape on the handlebars
I picked up a Bicentennial Jr. Varsity this weekend at the Copake bike auction. It needs some work to get it in line with his big brothers. Does anyone know if there are decals available?
Matt, I measured the width of the bars of the standard Bicentennial Varsity (17 inches) and the Jr. (16 inches). The crank arms were 7 inches and 6 inches and the kick stand lengths were 12 and 11 inches. I was measuring the 22 inch Bi Varsity against the 18 in Jr. V. Tim
0C6A8F6E-D8E5-4339-AC89-B0AA9324678F.jpeg

Last edited:
I picked up a Bicentennial Jr. Varsity this weekend at the Copake bike auction. It needs some work to get it in line with his big brothers. Does anyone know if there are decals available?
Matt, I measured the width of the bars of the standard Bicentennial Varsity (17 inches) and the Jr. (16 inches). The crank arms were 7 inches and 6 inches and the kick stand lengths were 12 and 11 inches. I was measuring the 22 inch Bi Varsity against the 18 in Jr. V. Tim
View attachment 980624
Here is another pic of the Bi Varsity Jr in the clean up process. Tim

22A2557C-1F9D-4EAF-934F-4F2AF5904566.jpeg

Back