When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 raleigh record ace?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

the VIA marking on the Maeda gear block marks it as noticeably later than cycle

probably not many of the OEM Simplex blocks remained on for long due to their 13-24 sizing

---

yes, pulleys appear original

if you wish to go upscale yet period correct you could go Bullseye

otherwise pulley from deceased Prestige would be just fine

Campag had ball bearing pulleys at one time similar your Freres Huret mech

they changed to bushings in the late '60's

---

the Campag headset is both Record and Nuovo Record depending on who is doing the talking

there are Record components which are part of the "Nuovo Record" road ensemble, saddle pillar is another

so HS is "Nuovo Record" in the sense that it is part of the Nuovo Record ensemble

races appear brinnelled - if you wish to extend life you could try going with loose ball packing

the 35mm stack height availability you measure is consistent with the Howard Sutherland value for the "Raleigh Aletet" of 36.1mm

Howard gives Raleigh Aletet fork crown race size as 26.9mm; for fitment to a 27.0mm seat

shimming of a fork crown race is fairly simple: an aluminum beverage tin and some tin snips can do the job

care must be taken not to permit shim material to get between underside of race and its seat

a length of metal pipe with an ID in the vicinity of 30mm can be used as a slide hammer for mounting if purpose made bicycle tool not available

-----

Last edited:
Many thanks @juvela for all the information! I read that although the campag Record HS was very popular it was prone to Brinnelling , especially on rough roads ; read that many were in fact replaced with stronglight HS which had roller bearings and harder steel. Reportedly super record HS did not have this same issue...

------

Stronglight roller bearing quite rare in its original incarnation.

Suspect you refer to later iterations.

Stronglight model V4 has a design where each ball touches races at four points instead of two.

This design effectively spreads the load out for longer life. Also the balls are loose rather than in retainers.

------

I found a July 1982 dated what I believe is huret eco with stripped cable stop bolt as potential donor. The huret pulleys have 10 teeth , 6mm bolt, but thickness I measure is 9.91mm versus simplex 10.41mm. I was thinking as both huret pulleys in good shapes perhaps I move both to the simplex instead of just replacing the damaged one. This way the simplex plates will be parallel.

image.jpg

image.jpg

-------

If you like the idea of bearings in the pulleys you could look for a dead Freres Huret Allvit. They have metal pulleys with loose ball bearings and red or black plastic "tyres." Bearings can be adjusted for play, much like hub bearings.

Huret derailleur pulley with black tyre .jpg

Huret derailleur pulley w:red tyre ,jpeg.jpg

---

returning to headsets --

Super Tourer's Raleigh Aletet appears kaput. Lower stack badly spawled. You would wish to replace at least this stack. Years ago there was a sealed bearing replacement lower stack available separately called the Jacik.

Unlike hubs and bottom brackets headsets either brinnell or they spawl. Pitting seldom presents itself.

Should you wish to get the RRA on the road and not invest in a new set you could refit the Campag making sure that the brinnell dimples do not line up with each other between the upper and lower race of each stack. Repack with loose balls. This will reduce any ratchet effect of the existing brinnelling. It would still leave the problem of thread engagement. As mentioned earlier, you could face the ends of the head tube and mill the fork crown seat but even doing all three would likely gain no more than one mm.

-----

Thowest say the crown’s race of Brampton ‘tis spalled?

BC6EA8D5-86E9-4460-8D5E-BA5A5CE9D10F.jpeg

Last edited:
-----

In this image it looks so. Boy is that ever one rough race! :eek:

Raleigh Aletet headset  .jpeg

-----

I keep covering my mouth because SunTour is the only RD from the era that works - oops, it got out.

I keep covering my mouth because SunTour is the only RD from the era that works - oops, it got out.
I saw some Suntour RDs of the 70s and a FD that was all aluminum except steel cage but did not buy as not familiar; which ones are the best of that era?

Roger right-e-o again! Here is the other part of the lower stack still attached to the ST frame (more to come including OA adventures) . Beginning to feel the odds are Stacked against me!

2BA29417-7420-481C-B18B-DB325F6F5C4E.jpeg

Back