When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890s Alvah up dated pictures

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
Zipcode
I checked my 1897 Sears & Roebuck Catalogue and of the Ladies' bicycle models offered that year; "Electric", "Utah", "Yukon", and the "Uno" which was the closest in design and construction to the "Alvah". Same style crank, pedals, frame, handle bar clamp, seat post, grips, etc. Based on the 1897 S&R offerings, I believe this "Alvah" must be either 1898 or 1899 because I also referenced my 1900 S&R catalog. The Ladies' bicycle models offered in 1900 were the; "Jewel", "Queen", and "Princess". The construction and componentry of the 1900 models had evolved just enough for me to conclude the "Alvah" predates 1900. Unfortunately I do not have S&R catalogues for 1898 or 1899 so I am unable to provide a copy of the advertisement for the "Alvah". This "Alvah" being offered for sale is certainly one of the finest examples of a truly preserved bicycle.
Sears 1897.jpg

There's a lot of information, controversy and mystery about Alvah Roebuck.
I'm thinking your friend ought to contact Christies or Sotheby's auction houses. It may bring more than $9800 he's asking.

Sent from my Bell candlestick

I checked my 1897 Sears & Roebuck Catalogue and of the Ladies' bicycle models offered that year; "Electric", "Utah", "Yukon", and the "Uno" which was the closest in design and construction to the "Alvah". Same style crank, pedals, frame, handle bar clamp, seat post, grips, etc. Based on the 1897 S&R offerings, I believe this "Alvah" must be either 1898 or 1899 because I also referenced my 1900 S&R catalog. The Ladies' bicycle models offered in 1900 were the; "Jewel", "Queen", and "Princess". The construction and componentry of the 1900 models had evolved just enough for me to conclude the "Alvah" predates 1900. Unfortunately I do not have S&R catalogues for 1898 or 1899 so I am unable to provide a copy of the advertisement for the "Alvah". This "Alvah" being offered for sale is certainly one of the finest examples of a truly preserved bicycle.
View attachment 976110
thank you so much ,this is great information.we really appreciate this

How could the guys at Sears not know who their founders name was?
How could the Worlds Largest Store, with their own Radio Station (WLS), selling primarily through catalog sales and dominating the market for nearly 100 years throughout the entire U.S., not put their entire catalog and sales platform online at the first drop of the internet hat?
Fuddy Duddy's
I don't think archival history was as important to folks in previous years. It was mostly cool trinkets from the past saved at random for the muse of someone related. We in the last 100 years are the only humans to collectively collect things for the fun of doing so. Those previous attitudes and conditions make things interesting for us today.

Another note being... I'm thinking the Alvah bicycle might not have been as famous as marketers previously mentioned. Looks like it took nearly 3 years of sifting to come up with some ephemera.... with the internet.

After looking through the paperwork previous, I wonder if the Famous Alvah Bicycle company was a Roebuck company on its own.
Aaaand..... Was this bike sold? I notice it is a sale post popped up but not bumped.
Where is this bike now? @jungleterry

Last edited:
Back