When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel

-

chuzz

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd ask if any of you guys remember the old Huffy 20" bikes that had the banana seat, high sissy bar and steering wheel? I had a neighbor that got one of those for Christmas I THINK of 69, maybe later, and she was the envy of the neighborhood. If she let you ride it down the street, that was a privilege. I rode it once and didn't much care for that steering wheel, but it still looked cool. This is identical to the one that Nita got. I never understood why her daddy got her a boys bike, but it was still cool. This one looks to me like the wheel is turned in the wrong direction because the forks are facing the wrong direction for the photo! LOL

steering wheel bike.jpg

Last edited:
You occasionally see people in London riding modern 'fixies' with much smaller diameter steering wheels.

I think it’s just spun around.
The cool thing about this set up, was that you could sit on your bike and spin backwards in circles, and the fork would spin around in a planetary motion.
Kind of something to do while waiting for the cute girls to walk by after school.

But, what is on backwards, is the Sissy Bar.
The slight bend at the top should face to the rear.

Just joking..............................I rode a bike with a Chain ring type steering wheel...................Low Rider style....................not my bike.....................but I thought it was COOOL !

Hey, great minds think a like!
Another Sting Ray trick I learned as a kid, was that if I put the kick stand down at speed and power slid the bike with your foot holding it down against the street, it would send a shower of sparks flying.
Super cool effect at night, but not too good for the longevity of the kick stand.
Motorcycle Speedway was big on Saturday nights in my hometown, so it was fun to try and emulate your favorite racers.

Back