When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'59 FLGHTLNR

-
Thanks @razinhellcustomz ,
The closest place to me that chrome plates seems to be Nasville TN. So I went the spray route.

Molten wax, no more grease or oil flung on your bike.
https://moltenspeedwax.com

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FE532FF0B5ED09771642FE532FF0B5ED&&FORM=VRDGAR
You can make your own .
I use White Lightning wax at intervals to freshen it up. But about ever 250 to 300 miles redo the process.
For the first. I find it easier to start with a brand new chain and remove the oils from it with Whatever your favorite degreaser is then soak it in denatured Alcohol.
For THAT KIND OF MONEY{$20.00} I'LL JUST KEEP DOING THE WD-40 PROCESS I'VE BEEN using for years. I can buy 4 cans for that and do 20 chains for the price of one chain. But thanks any way. Ride on. Razin.

For THAT KIND OF MONEY{$20.00} I'LL JUST KEEP DOING THE WD-40 PROCESS I'VE BEEN using for years. I can buy 4 cans for that and do 20 chains for the price of one chain. But thanks any way. Ride on. Razin.
That's cool my brother, whatever works for you. Just keep those wheels turning

Any progressive pictures and a parts list for the LED headlight conversion?
Pretty simple upgrade
Here are the bulbs I used.
https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Replacement-Torch-Light-White/dp/B01IP68ALG

. As for the 9 volt hook up, I stole one from a broken multimeter . I put the Positive wire to the Switch and the ground wire is secured to the tang that touches the outside base of the bulbs.
Here are some 9 volt battery holders / leads. I just didn't need that many. That's why I used one from a broken multimeter.
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Black...Ajw8qjnBRA-EiwAaNvhwIrKqYD-WQr0l2-jpYoU-WwUK7

https://www.amazon.com/5pack-Batter...=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198076596450&h

Sven:
Beautiful job! According to a Sears catalog cut, that is a 1959 "Equipped Flightliner," not to be confused with the "Fully Equipped Flightliner," which had a few more bits like a crash rail on the saddle, chrome fenders, push-button horn (in tank), and springer fork. It can be distinguished from 1958 bikes because the rails supporting the rear carrier on the 1959 models did not extend above the carrier. It can be distinguished from 1960 bikes because in 1960 the designs of the chain guard and the tank were tweaked. I had a 1960 bike when I was 12 years old and I have another one now.

There are a couple of items that aren't quite authentic on your bike, if it matters. Flightliner saddles on boys' bikes from that era were black with white welting. Pictures below show a disassembled saddle and an intact one.The intact one has a crash rail, which the bike in question would not have had. Also, boys' Flightliners had black, coke-bottle style hand grips. Girls' models had white grips.
Have fun and ride on, Andy
flightliner saddle.JPG

flightliner saddle 2.jpg

Sven:
Beautiful job! According to a Sears catalog cut, that is a 1959 "Equipped Flightliner," not to be confused with the "Fully Equipped Flightliner," which had a few more bits like a crash rail on the saddle, chrome fenders, push-button horn (in tank), and springer fork. It can be distinguished from 1958 bikes because the rails supporting the rear carrier on the 1959 models did not extend above the carrier. It can be distinguished from 1960 bikes because in 1960 the designs of the chain guard and the tank were tweaked. I had a 1960 bike when I was 12 years old and I have another one now.

There are a couple of items that aren't quite authentic on your bike, if it matters. Flightliner saddles on boys' bikes from that era were black with white welting. Pictures below show a disassembled saddle and an intact one.The intact one has a crash rail, which the bike in question would not have had. Also, boys' Flightliners had black, coke-bottle style hand grips. Girls' models had white grips.
Have fun and ride on, Andy
View attachment 1009367

View attachment 1009368
Thanks for the compliment and great information!
The seat has a funny story. Now funny , at the time it just kind of really pissed me off.:mad:
That seat I have pictured above came off a girls Murray Jet Fire 64 (as well as the handlebar grips). I bought black marine grade vinyl ( 5 yards ) and some white piping (welting). Well, the two times I recovered it, I still wasn't 100% satisfied with the outcome ( it reminds me of a swollen tick). And the piping thing wasn't really thought out either. okay so I will live with it.
But, next time I'll find a professional to handle recovering and attaching the welting.

And then, shortly after putting it on the bike, the front rivet on the bottom seat pan came loose.:mad: :mad:This makes the the whole seat swing side to side when pedaling. So I removed it , called it bad names and threw it in the corner and put the other seat on it.
I have ordered a cruiser seat, until I can find the correct seat.

So who makes the correct seat? Persons?
Anyway, You are very knowledgeable of this subject, thanks for sharing .

i still want to build a "maggot fly green" flightliner

I also lack the skill needed to rebuild the sad bits of the original saddle shown in the earlier post. Note that that saddle has a single pan. The best I could do was to paint the pan and under structure. So, instead of using the original, my imperfect solution was to paint the bottom edge of a found saddle to simulate the white welting. That is shown below.
flightliner saddle3.jpg

Thanks for the compliment and great information!
The seat has a funny story. Now funny , at the time it just kind of really pissed me off.:mad:
That seat I have pictured above came off a girls Murray Jet Fire 64 (as well as the handlebar grips). I bought black marine grade vinyl ( 5 yards ) and some white piping (welting). Well, the two times I recovered it, I still wasn't 100% satisfied with the outcome ( it reminds me of a swollen tick). And the piping thing wasn't really thought out either. okay so I will live with it.
But, next time I'll find a professional to handle recovering and attaching the welting.

And then, shortly after putting it on the bike, the front rivet on the bottom seat pan came loose.:mad::mad:This makes the the whole seat swing side to side when pedaling. So I removed it , called it bad names and threw it in the corner and put the other seat on it.
I have ordered a cruiser seat, until I can find the correct seat.

So who makes the correct seat? Persons?
Anyway, You are very knowledgeable of this subject, thanks for sharing .

i still want to build a "maggot fly green" flightliner
You know you could take it apart and tighten up the rivets. It's not hard to do and requires no special tools. If you have no use for the seat, I would consider taking it off your hands. I have a space liner with the wrong seat. Let me know. Ride on. Razin.

I also lack the skill needed to rebuild the sad bits of the original saddle shown in the earlier post. Note that that saddle has a single pan. The best I could do was to paint the pan and under structure. So, instead of using the original, my imperfect solution was to paint the bottom edge of a found saddle to simulate the white welting. That is shown below.
View attachment 1009559
That is a very ingenious idea, Andy.

Back