When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62? Raleigh Sports with 'Lenton' Dual Drive

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I picked up this Raleigh over the weekend. I'm really happy to have it. It has a 23" frame, beautiful paint scheme and a dual drive system that I haven't seen before. The Sturmey Archer hub is stamped 61 12 and it has three cogs attached and a Benelux dérailleur. I've found a 62 catalog that shows the Lenton with this dual drive system but I can't tell if the paint scheme is unique for this Sports and would've normally been found on a Superbe or what? Do you think '62 is the correct year for this bike? The saddle is a Brooks Champion Standard B 15 with a 65 stamped onto the cantle. I think that the saddle was upgraded later. The paint is in great shape but ironically the electrical tape that was wrapped around the seat tube to keep the water bottle holder from causing damage actually was the cause of paint damage. Here are the pictures.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
-----

Congratulations on this wonderful find.

Do you plan to leave it as it sits or will you do a full tear down?

VDO cyclometer is quite interesting. Usually one sees either S-W or Huret.

Prop stand appears Raleigh marked Shuresta.

Fabulous condition.

How does the license transfer read? Can make out Sylvan________

Your usual outstanding job with the imagery. ;)

Will look forward to following along as you work with it.

-----

great acquisition - a tour-worthy tourist

I believe you have the '61/62 factory hybrid drive - definitely wouldn't trust Raleigh catalogs to list all paint offered

Last edited:
Great find! This bike should be another keeper. It is in fabulous condition! It had to have been stored indoors most of its life. The only noticable outdoor effects are spotting on the Miller generator and tail light. I am presuming that you or the previous owner have already performed a light clean up, as the bike appears to be in near spotless condition.

Last edited:
Paint is correct - the darts were a short-lived pattern from the early 1960s. The hybrid drive is aftermarket but period correct. Saddle is a later upgrade, but it's a good-quality saddle. The electrical tape is a common addition to prevent damage to the paint, but it usually deteriorates into a goo (soap and water probably will clean it up). The electrical system is aftermarket but period correct.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/Raleigh-Catalog-1962.pdf
here's the catalog listing the hybid drive on a '62 Lenton Convertible (Raleigh's trade name for the hybrid drive).
It's little effort to put this drive on any 115mm OLD, 3/8" axle Raleigh which includes every bike built for SA hub.
If Raleigh didn't deliver a limited number of uncatalogued Sports Convertible bikes to dealers, it's little effort for a dealer to create one.
1UDkL5n.jpg

Correct - the system was meant as a drop-in, whether at the factory or in the shop. The cogs came en-bloc and dropped onto the driver even. Though it's possible to make your own bloc of drivers with a little effort.

The convertible drive bikes are somewhat uncommon in the US from the factory, and Raleigh tended to use special models to designate a convertible bike from the factory (though exceptions always exist). But a tall frame Sports would be a good platform for a bike shop upgrade. The most important part is that the system be complete and basically period to the bike. Go with the bike as it stands - it's a keeper.

Thanks everyone. The man I got it from gave it a quick spit shine. He picked it up from an estate sale, said it was the best one of a few Raleighs there. I plan to give it a complete tune up, polish and wax and then enjoy it as it is. I've been trying to stick to buying 23" frames and was very happy to get this one. Picked it up in Toledo Ohio and the license reads Sylvania Ohio. I'm thinking the tune up should go smoothly as I've done a few Raleighs but I may need a little advise on the Cyclo, if that's what it is more commonly referred to as. Have no experience with that type of dérailleur. Here is a curiosity to me, Schwinn tires. Maybe modern ones? Wouldn't think they could be the old 597's and seat properly. Size reads only 26 x 1 3/8. Still in pretty good shape too.
Edit note: the size also includes "to fit EA-3 rim"
image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. The man I got it from gave it a quick spit shine. He picked it up from an estate sale, said it was the best one of a few Raleighs there. I plan to give it a complete tune up, polish and wax and then enjoy it as it is. I've been trying to stick to buying 23" frames and was very happy to get this one. Picked it up in Toledo Ohio and the license reads Sylvania Ohio. I'm thinking the tune up should go smoothly as I've done a few Raleighs but I may need a little advise on the Cyclo, if that's what it is more commonly referred to as. Have no experience with that type of dérailleur. Here is a curiosity to me, Schwinn tires. Maybe modern ones? Wouldn't think they could be the old 597's and seat properly. Size reads only 26 x 1 3/8. Still in pretty good shape too.
Edit note: the size also includes "to fit EA-3 rim"
View attachment 1005803
A while back I picked up an early '70's Dunelt 5 Speed with the same tires. You can see them in the last picture:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/dunelt-5-speed.121771/
And the Schwinn lightweights I've seen all have Schwinn tires, but not the "Spitfires". I'm guessing these were supplied to Schwinn dealerships to fit to non-Schwinns. But if someone knows a better explanation, feel free to enlighten me!

Back