When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On to my next bike!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

usarnie1

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am very excited about the arrival of my next bike! I am still waiting for my cousin in Massachusetts to ship me the 1953 Hercules Windsor Bicycle that I purchesed almost 2 months ago on e-bay that was located in Road Island. The first thing I will be doing to that bike is add greese to the stem bearings, bottom bracket and both wheel axels. Then I will lace up a Hercules B type 3 Hub to the Dunlop rim, using Stainless Steel Spokes. Additionally, I will mount a set of premium tires, tubes and rim liners to both rims and mount them to the bike. Also, I will add my stock handlebars to the existing stem and add both caliper brakes, cables, hand controls and SA shifter. After which, I will add the chain, chain guard, fenders and an English kick stand. When all the above is completed, I will decide what else I can do to make the bike look and perform better.

My cousin will be keeping all the non stock parts, which consist of: the handlebars, hand grips, Komet rear coaster brake hub, spokes and both pedals. That should keep the contents of the box down to 37 pounds. My cousin is currently looking for a box small or large enough to fit everything I want into it. I forwarded to my cousin $100 and I am hopeful he can ship it for less!

Windsor1.jpg

Last edited:
It is now 3 months since I purchased the above bike and my cousin has still not shipped it to me, as he is overwhelmed with work related issues. In the meantime a 1953 Hercules Royal Prince has shown up 12 miles from my house and it is somewhat overpriced as it is missing the complete hercules front brake assembly, rear chainguard clamp and left pedal dust cap. It also comes with a non-stock seat and handgrips. The tires look to be flat. The seller is firm at $200 and will not listen to an offer!

I think I should buy it anyway! As I love the 1953 Hercules bicycles and I already have a complete Hercules front brake assembly, Pedal dust cap, rear chainguard clamp, original used made in England tan sprung seat, a set of near new Hungerford Super Jet hand grips and a pair of new Schwalbe tires.

My wife thinks that I should wait, as she believes no one else will over pay to get this bicycle!

0320d551a97545edb435082ee446c0c4.jpg

Last edited:
Well..... I love the chainwheel on that bike and it looks like the paint is bright and in good shape. You have the parts to make it complete. Should you wait????? I often have debated a purchase so long the decision gets made for me. My new theory is set up the meeting to look at the bike and get dibs on it. That gives you the opportunity to buy it or not, gives you that much longer to think. If you want it after seeing it then you should get it

I decided to take 3-speeder and Oilit advice and I went to purchase the bike. However, when I was at the sellers home and saw the bike, it needed a lot more work than the photos showed. The front tire was an original Dunlop that the side wall had a blow out due to the fabric within the tire from decintigrating and the tube within the tire was beyond repair. Although the rear tire was intact, it was a later replacement and did not look much better. The paint was faded and when I waxed it at my home, it did not help. The unique Queen Elizabeth II decals were also faded. Anyway, I told the seller that this bike was not a $200 bike and he immediately droped the price to $160 and I purchased it!

Once at my home, I did a clean up of all the chrome and waxed the bike. I removed the chain and wire wheeled it to clean off all the rust. Additionally, I had to press out two links, as they were rusted solid. I rebuilt the bottom bracket and it showed signs of a previous lube. I replaced the seat with an original tan sprung seat and added a Brooks leather tool pouch, replaced the hand grips with new ones that matched the tan seat, replaced the pedals with NOS Hercules pedals, Added a used Raleigh kickstand, a used Hercules front caliper brake with hand control and 4 new brake pads, a front stem headlight support and new Schwalbe tires. I did all the above in 2 days!

All that is remaining for me to do is replace all the cables and re-grease the fork bearings.

The bike is no way a show bike! It is a survivor. However, I am glad that I purchased it.

Herc1.pjg.JPG

Herc2.JPG

Last edited:
Today, I replaced all the cables, added a chrome rear chainguard support, stainless steel cable clamps, a re-painted Midland rear carrying rack and a Miller lighting set. I ordered a tan Tourban canvass pannier and matching Tourban canvass cargo triangle that fits within the V section of the frame. I also ordered a set of Schwalbe creme collored tires. Hopefully, that should keep me busy for awhile!

Herc1.JPG

Herc2.JPG

Last edited:
Today, I replaced all the cables, added a chrome rear chainguard support, stainless steel cable clamps, a re-painted Midland rear carrying rack and a Miller lighting set. I ordered a tan Tourban canvass pannier and matching Tourban canvass cargo triangle that fits within the V section of the frame. I also ordered a set of Schwalbe creme collored tires. Hopefully, that should keep me busy for awhile!

View attachment 1012748
View attachment 1012749
Good job! The bike may not look new, but she's at least aging gracefully, which is more than some of us can say.

Shown below are before and after photos of two of my three 1953 Hercules bicycles that are at my home in California. I have rejuvenated both of these bikes. I am running out of things to do or add to these bikes. These bikes are not pristine garage queens, as I ride them three times a week for exercise. However, both are in excellent mechaical condition and both are very presentable. Too bad there is not a bike show for English 3 speed bikes anywhere nearby to where I live. I enjoy showing them off to my friends, family and neighbors.

s-l1600-4.jpg

0320d551a97545edb435082ee446c0c4.jpg

1Herc1.JPG

Last edited:
Back