When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welding repairs and fabrication

-
Of the things I commonly fix or repair are things like stripped pedal threads in old cranks. ( Most all have been TOC hard to find cranks. ) I machine an insert slug to size and drill the end of the crank arm out. I use a Bridgeport milling machine to drill the crank arm so keep it as square as possible.

20181121_191030.jpg

I install the insert. If all goes well this is a press fit.

20181121_191954.jpg

I then weld both sides of the insert.

20181121_192404.jpg

I finish the welds off. Tap the hole to proper pedal size in this case 1/2-20. Then I re-patina the repair area if so desired.

20181121_194819.jpg

Finished and pedal test fitted.

20181121_195405.jpg

Last edited:
I'm offering my services for welding repairs and fabrication on bicycle frames and sheet metal parts. I am an experienced sheet metal fabricator and welder with 30 years of professional experience in the automotive restoration industry. I am experienced in welding steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. I offer both mig and tig welding as well as oxy-acetylene and tig brazing. I offer a full sheet metal fabrication services. I can fix, straighten, and reproduce sheet metal parts. Feel free to PM me with any questions or a quote.

View attachment 846534

View attachment 846537
hello, have a Higgins rear rack and I want to install a NOS pair of 1948 buick roadmaster fender reflectors, support brace can be moved with a possible sheet metal brace/attachment to strengthen area and mount reflectors, rack will be high enough to clear fenders, what do think?
20190528_183737.jpg

20190528_183928.jpg

I'm offering my services for welding repairs and fabrication on bicycle frames and sheet metal parts. I am an experienced sheet metal fabricator and welder with 30 years of professional experience in the automotive restoration industry. I am experienced in welding steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. I offer both mig and tig welding as well as oxy-acetylene and tig brazing. I offer a full sheet metal fabrication services. I can fix, straighten, and reproduce sheet metal parts. Feel free to PM me with any questions or a quote.

View attachment 846534

View attachment 846537

Yes.
This is a TOC Jenkins frame I just aquired. The tubes in the triangle are a little worse for wear. The down tube had a section of new tubing cobbled in it that was the wrong size and was crudely welded. I believe the bike frame was also used to drive rail road spikes at one time by the amount of dents that were in the top and seat tube. The rear chain and seat stays are in good order but the tubes of the main triangle are rough to say the least. The easiest fix for a straight tube frame such as this is to put sections of new tubing in. Here's a before pic of the down tube repair.
View attachment 906188

I cut the old 1 inch undersized tube out and cleaned off the remnants of its remains from inside tends of the original tube.

View attachment 906189

I fitted th he new tube and fixtures the bike frame so I could keep the tubes inline.

View attachment 906190

I welded the tube in place then finished the welds.

View attachment 906191

I'm putting a section in the top tube the using the same method.
Beautiful craftsmanship!!!

Back