When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Schwinn Collegiate Tourist handlebars

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bidnessboy

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I’m trying to get my childhood bike, a 1972 Schwinn Collegiate Tourist, back on the road and I’m having trouble finding original handlebars. I converted it to drop style bars and didn’t keep the originals.

Over the years Schwinn used the 7881 and 7819 bars on the Collegiate and they were the same bars used on some of the middleweights. Should be easy locating a set of bars if you want original Schwinn parts. The old lightweight tourist bars of the early 60's also used the same bars as the middleweights.

Check out the two tourist bars Bikeman shows. Do a google search for those wald numbers and they're around 20 bucks new. The spread difference between the two is roughly 4" but the rise is the same I believe.

I should have those exact 72 date coded bars, nice ones too. I’ll double check that when I get home tonight.

These bars that I put on my Varsity "Tourist" clone, I believe came off a Collegiate. So did you keep the brakes levers, brake cables and handlebar grips?
20190617_172932.jpg
20190617_172924.jpg

Those look like the wider (7819?) bars? I did not keep the original brakes and grips. A local bike shop got it back on the road for me. I’m ok with the brakes and grips they used. The seat and the bars aren’t the right look though.

5CAE01B8-AB97-4199-AD02-574C5DB801BC.jpeg

Back