When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repaint?

-

jwages

Finally riding a big boys bike
I recently bought a bicycle and paid up for it because it was advertised as NOS. It has a couple paint oddities and I’m trying to determine whether it’s a repaint. I figure you guys have seen way more OG bikes than me. What’s throwing me is the pin striping on the fender. It’s not great, but I don’t know if factory pins sometimes had uneven outcomes. This a 1948 Firestone. Murray built I believe. It also has a pedal block with a chunk missing and what appears to be a touch up. Does this qualify as NOS and do you guys think OG paint?
c93a9784904e1ee7bb34954da5fd1752.jpg
911cf29295dc9d14acc0abe8dc9a54f2.jpg

addd78fff6c08b54cf7d4b57fc3a7419.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And no, I’m not at all unhappy with the bike nor do I think the seller misrepresented this bike. It’s beautiful. Just want to hear opinions.

Okay, one vote on the chalk board. I appreciate your opinion.

I’m working out of town and will post overalls when I get home.

Reactions: mrg
Okay then. ;) To my eye, the white pins look like they were masked off and sprayed, something that wasn't done at the factory.
I'm with you on the masked part but do you think he taped out all the red to spray the white or it was white and he used fine line sprayed the red and peeled off tape weird about all the little tics and the way it tails off at the end???

If that is that twin headlight Monark then I think the wear on the pedal blocks is incongruent with the condition of the paint. Are the fender braces riveted? What do the undersides of the fenders look like? V/r Shawn

Back