When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some aluminum foil and an SOS pad

-

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Today's weather was perfect for hosing off a Flightliner Deluxe that I picked up a couple of days ago. I got a dribble coming from the hose and took a wet SOS pad to the entire bike then followed up by making a pad out of a sheet of aluminum foil and scrubbing it. That pad along with some water cleaned it up a little more. I didnt want to go the Oxalic Acid bath or molasses dip because I'm not ready to disassemble it. You can see that with about 45 minutes of work a lot of the rust is gone. Neither SOS pads nor aluminum foil can get into all the crevices so there's still a long way to go. But this is a good start and gives me an idea as to yet lies ahead

Before:
IMG_20190524_120649403.jpg

IMG_20190619_130423328.jpg

IMG_20190619_130431889.jpg

After:
IMG_20190619_142358157.jpg

IMG_20190619_142348594.jpg
IMG_20190619_142402754.jpg

Nice looking Flightliner! Glad to see that you were able to install an appropriate saddle instead of that silly "S" one. One comment on technique: SOS pads are, of course, made of steel wool, so they can scratch chrome. Bronze wool used with chrome polish is a safer choice, although it is expensive. Aluminum foil with chrome polish also works.

Looks good. To this day I have never used aluminum foil as a cleanup product. Always heard about it but just never used it. Looks like it works pretty well.

Nice looking Flightliner! Glad to see that you were able to install an appropriate saddle instead of that silly "S" one. One comment on technique: SOS pads are, of course, made of steel wool, so they can scratch chrome. Bronze wool used with chrome polish is a safer choice, although it is expensive. Aluminum foil with chrome polish also works.
Hey!! What's wrong with the SILLY seats? I have a few of these. Just not on my flightliner. Any way i always use wd-40 or plain old water with the tin foil. Chrome polish is getting way to expensive. This works well for me. Happy polishing. Razin.

Today's weather was perfect for hosing off a Flightliner Deluxe that I picked up a couple of days ago. I got a dribble coming from the hose and took a wet SOS pad to the entire bike then followed up by making a pad out of a sheet of aluminum foil and scrubbing it. That pad along with some water cleaned it up a little more. I didnt want to go the Oxalic Acid bath or molasses dip because I'm not ready to disassemble it. You can see that with about 45 minutes of work a lot of the rust is gone. Neither SOS pads nor aluminum foil can get into all the crevices so there's still a long way to go. But this is a good start and gives me an idea as to yet lies ahead

Before:View attachment 1017802

View attachment 1017803

View attachment 1017804

After:
View attachment 1017806

View attachment 1017805View attachment 1017807
I just love the green grips. Mine has the same hunt wilde grips as yours. I do have red ones, but haven't got them on yet. Mine has the black messinger seat with the diamond pattern. Not original but works well and is comfy. Enjoy your new treasure. Razin.

Before:View attachment 1017802

View attachment 1017803

View attachment 1017804

After:
View attachment 1017806

View attachment 1017805View attachment 1017807
Are you going to respray the lower fork legs the original turquoises color? Fun job. Razin.

Back