When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK cough it up! How do you find your scores??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Craigslist, eBay (I've gotten really lucky a few times) and Garage Sales are where I usually find almost all of them. Lately, though, I've gotten a few great deals on Letgo.
I just keep pounding the keyboard until something pops up, though lately after I've had them for a little while I resell and it's off to the chase once again! :)

As far as southern Maryland...you can forget CL. There is the either the walmart variety or high dollar carbon fiber ones. I have had luck with Richmond VA & WV CL listings. Road trip time
Ive had better luck at estate sales in this area.

There are only 2 ways I find the bikes I really like (1890s-1950:( 1) the equivalent of Craigslist in my area; 2) other bike collectors.

For #2, my "strategy" has been to run my line of credit into the stratosphere, and buy lottery tickets weekly (do you think I'm joking?).

For #1, I search multiple times per day. If I see something I really want at a reasonable price, I promise the seller their full asking price and ask them to hold it for me 'till I can get there. Sometimes I overpay for something that wasn't as good as the photos, but I keep my word to pay what I said I would pay if the seller didn't misrepresent the bike. The bad deals balance out in the end with the nice finds.

Regarding a question in an earlier post about what you consider a "score", if it's a rare and valuable bike at a low price that you want, then it all comes down to 2 things: the seller doesn't know what they have; and you beat all the other guys to get there first. Be patient, you may only get one or two such scores every ten years.

One last point. I have a couple of bikes from the '40s to '60s that are spectacular. They look like they just came off the bike shop floor new. What I did in each case was buy 2 really good original, identical bikes from the same assembly line, and take the best parts from each and put them together. Then I sold the one with the remaining parts. I'm talking about $100 bikes here. I did it for fun and to keep them for myself, not to resell. I don't want anyone to think I'm in the Frankenbike business.

Good luck!

Man, I am always looking on craigslist and now face book but I can never seem to find the jewels some of you guys stumble across. What is your secret. How and where do you find your best deals, best old bike scores??!!
Keep your eyes peeled. They will come to you if it's meant to be. Good luck.Razin.

The best way to get plenty of scores is to learn to love girl's bikes. And also don't be picky or a snob about a select few models.

I check FB Marketplace, Craigslist, thrift stores, swap meets (especially non bike swap meets with other older stuff), Auctions, look in people's yard (from the road, legally). If it is freshly posted online, jump on it. You can swap it or sell it later. Being first inline is the key. Check often.

Got this Elgin at a tractor swap meet for $35. I got there early. But not early enough because I missed a nice complete boys Derby with a tank it was next to for $65.

IMG_6898.JPG

IMG_6900.JPG

Our city wasn't very populated back in the day, no real industry, etc, therefore was told there was only one bike shop back in the late 50's.-60's., so it's really hard to find prewar bikes, post war ballooners, even Stingrays. I'm not too different than most folks when it comes to the approach of looking for bikes and parts. However when I'm about to hunt for wheelas, I pray. I ask my Lord Jesus to lead me, then I start to hunt. Sometimes I find stuff, sometimes I don't. But truthfully the stuff I do have, has come as a result of his favor.

Back