When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HD Motorcyke

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Canuck

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi all,

So my grandmother recently passed away and as another family member and I were going through a barn at one of her properties which contained items that had belonged to my great grandfather, I found a number of bikes. One of which was hung from a back wall and which I could not get a good look at. What caught my eye on this bike was the dust covered, yet still shiny, chainring appeared to have letters stamped into it. This week a family member was finally able to access the bike. He told me the letters in the Chain ring were “H”s and “D”s, and the model name on the frame was “Motorcyke”. Obviously, this is a Harley Davidson Motorcyke from 1918 to early 1920s. The bike has likely hung on the wall since long before I existed and apparently appears to be in relatively decent condition. Original paint doesn’t appear to have been eaten away by rust, at least from what he could tell once he wiped away the inch of dust that had built up on the bike. It even has the leather seat bag that came with the bike, and which appears in the HD catalog. Whether parts or missing or have been replaced I don’t know, and won’t until I see it and take a look at it.

I suspect my great grandfather picked this bike up, maybe even as original owner, and then parked it in the barn. He did that sort of thing a lot.

My plan, once I am able to pick the bike up is to service it and ride it. My family is a cycling family and between the four of us we probably have over 10 bikes in our garage - road, mountain bike, cyclocross/gravel. Although most of our current bikes are carbon. So this new addition will be a little different.

So thoughts on what I may have, and whether it is a good idea to intend to ride a bike like this?

Tim

Post some pics sounds like a rare bike.. if it’s for sale/trade let me know....I preserve them and don’t ride them but you can ride it without any problems tires are available at 300+/- for 28’s

Tim bikes can be ridden and preserved. Provided the rims are not warped, dry rotted, or split you can buy some tires to fit these rims and enjoy the bike. Another alternative is to save the old wheelset and buy a readily available set on EBay for about $600 with modern clinchers and a good service you should be able to ride all day. The only other part I may set aside would be the seat. You never mentioned selling but if this is as nice as you describe an auction would probably be the better route to avoid leaving money on the table. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I get the idea from these responses and the numerous private messages and there is some potential that this is a pretty special and valuable bike. Only way to find out is for me to get a relative to take some pictures for me so I can post or to drive down and get the bike myself.

My interest is not in selling, but in riding and enjoying the bike. I am a bike guy, just until now it was modern bikes!

It may be a while before I post again as it may take a while to get pictures or the bike itself. But I will do so once I have additional information as I can tell there is a lot of interest.

There’s an old bike in a barn, you say?
0BA9908A-31D2-40F1-8116-F299CAEC024B.jpeg

It’s got an H-D on the sprocket you say?
$20,000 in untouched decent original condition!
I’ll be back, I’m going to fill up the canteens.

Back