When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repaint?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I know this post has been a hot topic for over a week and I thought, what the heck might as well give my opinion. The big issue seems to be the wear on the pedals and chain ring. What I see is damage, not wear to otherwise original nice pedals. The pedals are clean, no rust on shafts, signs of cleaning or foot wear (look again) . looks like damage from aging (brittleness) and probably carelessness over the last seventy years. Same on chain ring, no rust or cleaning scratches, just nice aged platting. And really, do you restore a bike and leave original aged brittle flat tires on it. My feeling is a incredible 70 year old survivor, never sold at retail and maybe rode by previous owners a hand full of times. Pretty damn close to NOS if you ask me (...and you didn't LOL).

Thanks. Good point regarding the tires. And I hadn’t considered the pedals had loss just due to becoming brittle and getting banged around over the years. I appreciate the feedback. Still learning to identify this stuff and calibrate my eyes.

The tires are something that hasn't really been mentioned other than in the two posts I quoted above. At least one of them has been replaced. You have a Davis Deluxe on the front, and a Sears Allstate on the rear. I do not know what tires the bike would have originally been equipped with, but I would say the rear tire has been replaced, as I highly doubt Monark would have put an Allstate tire on a Firestone bike.
This does not help with determining whether or not the paint is original, but does point to the possibility of the bike having been ridden, and not NOS.

1562085469566.png

1562085520061.png

Regarding this pedal, yes the missing chunk is damage, not wear. But, there is clearly wear in addition to the missing chunk. Both blocks show wear, but especially the one across from the missing chunk.
While it is a nice pedal aside from the one block, there is no question that this is most definitely a used pedal.

1562085731409.png

I suppose it is possible, that the rest of the bike is NOS, aside from the pedals and at least one of the tires. It's possible someone found the NOS bike without pedals, and added them, and replaced a tire to get it riding.
I'm still wondering about the paint though, specifically the beige stripes and lettering, all having fuzzy edges like it was taped off. The paint just doesn't have a factory look to it, and personally I think it looks like an older, quality restoration done maybe 20-30 years ago.

Either way it is a great looking bike, and what matters most is that you are happy with it, which it sounds like you are.

I overlooked the tires, good catch. Just sitting flat for years may have killed off a tire. The rear tire isn’t safe to ride on now.

As for the paint, I guess it would be helpful to compare it to another bike. Someone mentioned it may have been masked at the factory. Are factory logos and pins always super sharp? Usually hand painted? Or did that often vary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember nothing was perfect back in those days. Nobody was as picky as they are now. Bicycles(and other stuff) weren't crafted, they were put together quickly at the factory. A lot of times manufacturers put on what they had available at time of build. Sometimes new bikes didn't look "exactly" like the picture in the ad, which drive collectors nuts. Kids didn't care. The replaced tire was obviously not original, but obviously done a long time ago. The original pedals could have been robbed for another bike. I still think they should have more center wear, not on inside, unless rider was pigeon toed. And one last comment. Why would someone take the original pedals and let's say tires, maybe cause they needed them, were primo and "dumping" the bike anyway, and leave a high dollar mint never used ( can't argue that) delta twin light setup on the front ? You don't try to get top dollar for a bike by installing used pedals and flat tire's. This bike has a story. In seventy plus years a lot takes place !

Is it possible the stripes were applied at the factory with a roller brush similar to a Beugler? Those can leave a hard edge. It has a hand done look the way the lines flare at the end. I believe there was a pic on here of ladies at the schwinn fatory using a tool similar to a Beugler.

Amazing bike btw! My vote is original paint and very lightly ridden! Enjoy

I overlooked the tires, good catch. Just sitting flat for years may have killed off a tire. The rear tire isn’t safe to ride on now.

As for the paint, I guess it would be helpful to compare it to another bike. Someone mentioned it may have been masked at the factory. Are factory logos and pins always super sharp? Usually hand painted? Or did that often vary?

Most definitely comparing it to a known original that is well preserved, would be helpful if you wish to continue digging in and further investigate your bike.
Then again, you also may just decide to forget about it and enjoy it.

J , here's the thing if you like it ride it. now you won't have to worry if it gets chips here and there.;)

It’s just in me to investigate. I like understanding the details. Seems like you guys do too. The research is fun.

I gave it a rub down and new tubes. Everything polished out real nice. It’s on display in the living room until vetoed by the Mrs. Some new tires and she’ll be on the road.

77709a04264b95dec7234bc2c22ff7be.jpg

260d482b277bfac60fedac3a00767010.jpg

a6093afcbdd06356acfbfbc2740dfae9.jpg

8011af4cd1356347bb913a549d72b129.jpg

f1db4f81289c7bba4291cd30237fc242.jpg

4113b8700273768578097a56b6323cdd.jpg

2393147de684dcc75448e0dcede8cb08.jpg

48b65668f1b3629b3c12dd6749a8174b.jpg

dd826944bc34ba273f2d3bdec0f4981d.jpg

386009d09ae940620707f74746c2c7be.jpg

d6143d39ab7d4c59951e707df104910d.jpg

4d3f92dc8821302c63350753a933c2a8.jpg

I think we are all used to the old "if its too good to be true..." deal, but the more I look at this I think its legit. Its just so nice that its probably easier thinking its repainted rather than original.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Back