When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage 1978 KLUNKER 5

-
Yea, I am sure there are still a few around in California. We sold lots of them back in the day. Please let me know if you ever want to sell that bike? Chances are I assembled it when it came out of the box!

I had a couple nice 81s.. but sold them to friends. This red one is currently my only 81..and im still looking for a few missing parts to complete the bike. I may sell if I can replace it with another.. :)

Might want to leave that one original paint... the chain guard decal is a big deal as far as originality
on those Klunkers...when its' gone it's gone..
Although at least you can document the restoration if you go that far

Reactions: mrg
Might want to leave that one original paint... the chain guard decal is a big deal as far as originality
on those Klunkers...when its' gone it's gone..
Although at least you can document the restoration if you go that far

It is staying all original, as the imperfections in the paint give it character as to what it has been through in its life. I would like to know the story of how it got to Kansas from California though.

It has already been stripped down to the bare frame, and is starting to go back together.

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

Last edited:
I picked up a Black Arizona sun beaten Spitfire 5 years ago and the chain guard screening was wearing pretty thin. The top tube decals were all but gone and I was afraid to clean the chain guard in fear of losing all the screening. Decided to preserve what was there so I cleaned the paint up around the screening and then wiped the screening very very gently with some large cotton balls saturated with rubbing alcohol. Then I cleared coated it! This was at the time before Dan, bicyclebones, had the top tube decals. I sent him a message when I was working on that bike asking if he would reproduce these decals and quite a few months later he did. Dan has those now if you decide you want to install new "Schwinn" decals.

I picked up a Black Arizona sun beaten Spitfire 5 years ago and the chain guard screening was wearing pretty thin. The top tube decals were all but gone and I was afraid to clean the chain guard in fear of losing all the screening. Decided to preserve what was there so I cleaned the paint up around the screening and then wiped the screening very very gently with some large cotton balls saturated with rubbing alcohol. Then I cleared coated it! This was at the time before Dan, bicyclebones, had the top tube decals. I sent him a message when I was working on that bike asking if he would reproduce these decals and quite a few months later he did. Dan has those now if you decide you want to install new "Schwinn" decals.

The paint is too dinged up for new decals! Plus I am an all original, as found kinda guy, so it is going to stay just as I got it except for a good cleansing and lube job. The only parts that are going to be new is a shift cable, rear brake cable, cable clamps, and new studded blackwall tires.

Last edited:
It is staying all original, as the imperfections in the paint give it character as to what it has been through in its life. I would like to know the story of how it got to Kentucky from California though.

It has already been stripped down to the bare frame, and is starting to go back together.

View attachment 1027060

View attachment 1027061

In your initial post you said you got it in Kansas, and now it’s Kentucky ?

Back