When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wards Hawthorne project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you're regretting painting the light, don't beat yourself up for it. This is a learning process. What you could do is relic the light, which means to rough it up a bit and get some rusty patina back. You can scuff it up with sandpaper, hit it with something to give it some paint chips, etc. then apply either bleach water or vinegar and water on it until it gets the patina you are happy with. The relic process level you do is up to you. Nice bike!!

Slow down on this bike my friend...slow down. As FM65 mentions, the patina represents the true value. Think of yourself as a conservator. In terms of the metal components, this is not discussed very much. What is the "best way" to clean metal?. Needs a separate thread some day. Hubs and spokes and all the other plated bits get loaded up with debris and should be cleaned off. How much to remove is debate-able. Not with a badge though. No debate. The other bits, IMO, should be cleaned of all the road debris completely. Perhaps a soft toothbrush and a light solvent would work better and have less potential to scratch than a brass metal brush that I advocated above earlier... These particles contain solvents and metals that are picked up from the road, and continue over time to have destructive qualities that continues to deteriorate the metal over time. I advocate cleaning ALL the debris off of these parts to stop the deterioration for good. Then coat them with linseed-oil(wipe it completely off afterwards!!) the result is true containment of deterioration.... Some will disagree with me I know, and I would like to hear them chime in about it. In the end, most agree do as little as possible. I am a bit horrified you painted the light to be honest, this was hopefully your only mistake here so far...

I worked on the front hub today and did some polishing of the front wheel. The wheel is painted the same as the bike. The spokes cleaned up well too. This was my first time working with a front fork system like this. What did people do back then when they had to remove the tire? Everything has to come off just to remove the wheel. Is there a simpler method?
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The correct answer is....No.

The correct answer is....No.
Yeah. These springers are a pain to deal with. I once had a flat on the front of my 41. I let it sit so long the tire split...when all it needed was a new tube.
20170101_154309.jpg

I agree what you have all said about maintaining the old look and patina the bike has. The only thing I have painted and planned on painting was the light, and I wish I wouldn't have. I painted it ivory and came out nice but it's too nice for this bike. I was mainly concerned with the rust eating through the thing eventually and wanted to stop it. I'll get creative and make it look old and worn. I'll post pics of it when finished.

If I get the fork straightened, they may have to use a torch, won't they? That would require painting it afterwards. Who could do work like that? I may bring it to Yellow Jersey by Madison, Wisc. Andy did some excellent paint and brazeon work for me last year, and he could probably handle something like this.

I agree what you have all said about maintaining the old look and patina the bike has. The only thing I have painted and planned on painting was the light, and I wish I wouldn't have. I painted it ivory and came out nice but it's too nice for this bike. I was mainly concerned with the rust eating through the thing eventually and wanted to stop it. I'll get creative and make it look old and worn. I'll post pics of it when finished.

If I get the fork straightened, they may have to use a torch, won't they? That would require painting it afterwards. Who could do work like that? I may bring it to Yellow Jersey by Madison, Wisc. Andy did some excellent paint and brazeon work for me last year, and he could probably handle something like this.

Forks can usually be straightened by using a Park Tool fork straightener. There are also other means that don't involve a torch. My husband has fixed several.
Deb

I worked on the front hub today and did some polishing of the front wheel. The wheel is painted the same as the bike. The spokes cleaned up well too. This was my first time working with a front fork system like this. What did people do back then when they had to remove the tire? Everything has to come off just to remove the wheel. Is there a simpler method?

You have to remember that during the time this bike was made, there wasn't a lot of disposable income like today....
I remember when I was a kid, you didn't even have to remove the tire for a flat.....you just popped off 1 side of the tire, pulled out the tube, found the leak, and got your patch kit. You picked your shape, clamped that metal piece in place, lit it on fire, and walla! fixed. You may have had 20 patches on that tube and it might be years before you would ever need to remove the wheel.....it was a different time. Enjoy the bike...those front ends ride nice when they are adjusted right. Enjoy......

Back