When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Schwinn Continental Restoration.

-

BillRays

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello, and thanks for the add. I've had a Schwinn 1964 Continental since it was brand new and I was eight years old, and it has sat in a garage attic for the last 35 years with the idea I would someday get around to at least rehabbing it. I was only thinking rehab and not a full restoration because I never thought I could find original decals and paint for the bike. Of course, with ebay, I found the original decals for both the down tube and bottom tube. I have also found paint from KOOLSTUFF.COM that is Schwinn approved paint for the original Stingray bikes. My Continental paint is "Radiant Coppertone", and the Stingray paint is "Coppertone". There is a difference, but the paint is close. My question is: Can I find the original Radiant Coppertone paint? If not, should I go with the new paint anyway, knowing it's not exact, and I would lose the nice patina most of the original paint is showing after 55 years, even though there are several rough areas on the bike? Thanks for your interest.

Good day and welcome. We would love to see pics of your 1 owner 1964 Continental. There is some good following of those bikes here. You will get some good useful info. Some of us like restorations and some of us like original. Lets see what ya got.

Good day and welcome. We would love to see pics of your 1 owner 1964 Continental. There is some good following of those bikes here. You will get some good useful info. Some of us like restorations and some of us like original. Lets see what ya got.
Thanks for the interest, Stoney. Here's a few photos, more to follow.

IMG_2750.JPG

IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_E2766.JPG

IMG_E2781.JPG

IMG_E2783.JPG

Im with @stoney , that frame is nice as well as the decals. No paint or decals needed there. I 'd wash it and put some cleaner wax on it. Polish up your chrome and other bare metal. Service everything, get new tires, tubes and rim strips, brake shoes, maybe brake and shifter cables.......
Ride and enjoy...go tract down the sex pot in the yellow shorts you got pictured..lol.
Would like to see some progress pics.

As far as the decals. If they have yellowed. I have mentioned this a few times in the past. I have sprayed Windex on a clean white towel and gently wipe the decals over and over, they do go back to white.

I'm pretty much with the rest of the guys on just cleaning it up. And I'm somewhat in shock to see the old 1963 Atom 14-28 two prong freewheel on that puppy. 1964 was all Sprint stamped. You do have the 64 red button quick release brake levers and riveted Sprint tag on the rear derailleur though. I have a 1964 and 62 Continental and a 65 Varsity in Coppertone and the paint is definitely not the same color on any of the three. Not sure what year Pete had that Sting Ray Coppertone paint matched to but there were slight changes over the years.

Back