When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying French frame

-
-----

Good to read you were able to get it sorted.

Have been in agreement right along.

As you probably learned from your researches the Super Corsa model was something created for the North American market and was current ~1968-73.

The parallel domestic model was termed the Olympic. There was also something called the Super Olympic.

One idea I had was to check the francophone fora.

Unfortunately each example found had the "notched" treatment of the taper tube ends rather than the "chisel" exhibited by your frameset.

---

Owned a bespoke built Urago whose constructeur was a builder by the name of "Brookie" (Brouquis? - have only heard his name and not seen it written). It was quite something. In about 1970 Nantes was able to lure him away from Nice with better compensation where he worked to construct the true MICMO team cycles.

He was likely building Roma machines right about the time yours was done.

---

Keep in mind that while you are satisfied your frameset is a MICMO product it may have been otherwise badged because of the other marques the company owns.

-----

Here's my Follis if this helps any...

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

Thanks. I think I can rule out Follis due to the lack of any headbadge holes in the frame. Also the workmanship on all the Follis cycles I've seen in photos seems much nicer than my frame.

Here's my Follis if this helps any...

----

Hope you are able to post additional fotos post-respray.

It is a bit of a decision as to whether or not to supply the period correct transfers as they were the awful foil ones.

Perhaps plain would be nicer.

For historicity sake, hope you do not have any braze-ons added - my deux centimes. ;)

-----

I will definitely post an update with photos when it's complete. Orange, with the foil decals. Looking all the old photos, the foil decals have kinda grown on me.

I am have braze-ons added though - désolé. It's going to be fairly modernized with components coming off my ~75 Champion du Monde that has a cracked head tube. Long story short, I got the Champion du Monde 38 years ago after it sat around in a shop for years and used for parts. It's been through many lives/personalities and tens of thousands of miles.

1.png

----

Hope you are able to post additional fotos post-respray.

It is a bit of a decision as to whether or not to supply the period correct transfers as they were the awful foil ones.

Perhaps plain would be nicer.

For historicity sake, hope you do not have any braze-ons added - my deux centimes. ;)

-----

Interesting. I didn't think to look at Swedish bikes with possible french threads. I'll have to try and find more photos of different models/years.

Crescent used the exact same orange. I wonder if it could the model below Pepita ?

[QOTE]

My first guess was also a Gitane Super Corsa- my first full Campy road bike in 1971. But looking at it further than tube angles don't seem the same- the seat tube is much more angled back than the steer tube. It almost looks like a criterium frame with a short rear triangle and possibly a higher bottom bracket, but that was more of a mid-70's frame building thing. The Gitane Super Corsa frame was heavily chromed, in the fork and stay ends, and not likely to disappear without HEAVY removal.

Some Gitanes did come in orange. Mine was purple and turquoise blue was popular.

gitane.jpg

'73-74-ish Gitane

The Swedish Crescent above may be more of a match there, but not sue they used French threading.

How about Mercier? Not familiar with them all that much, but also a prominent French frame in that day.

Last edited:
Back