When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dads bike under way

-
Pretty sure you have a 1930 Westfield/Columbia. Here's my 1930, serial H65189.
1930 Columbia.jpg

1930 Columbia #2.jpg

1930 Columbia #6.jpg

Dave... I've looked @ this Columbia Jr roadster ad and I did not like the tight pinch @ the upper end of the rear-axle seat stays. That pinch is not in the photos of your frame... Also, You gave a clear photo of the headtube bearing cups; and, they compare to Shelby bearing cups I see in examples below, but, they do not compare to the Columbia, Westfield photos I've seen. You said your Dad was saying it was a Shelby... It HAS a Shelby chain ring. The Shelby Lindy and the Shelby Whippet(s) I've seen have an older style of chain ring; and, yours is right for an early '30s Shelby bike. I'm singling out a pair of good old fellas, @catfish and @hoofhearted . I also give you a link below where I only checked the first two pages; but, here are page and post numbers to consider: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/the-motorbike-era.92947/
Page 1 post #16 is from Hoofhearted; Scroll & Check out the tanks from his Lindy; earlier post #4 he states he has had a '35 Shelby built King-B.
Page 1 post #17 is from Catfish
Page 2 post 24 (scroll to eighth photo) A Shelby Fox (head-badge rivets are on the side, horizontal) etc...
Just my 2 cents; Your building a beauty!

Last edited:
Thanks! Dad said the crank was replaced, but maybe the CR wasn't? The rear end axle stays by the seat post I 100% agree. It does not have the tight curve of a Columbia, but the SN is what through me off. The page 2 eighth photo has the right axle stays. It was / is a 28" wheeled bike. The tool box he bought as a kid and put it on.

Dave... I've looked @ this Columbia Jr roadster ad and I did not like the tight pinch @ the upper end of the rear-axle seat stays. That pinch is not in the photos of your frame... Also, You gave a clear photo of the headtube bearing cups; and, they compare to Shelby bearing cups I see in examples below, but, they do not compare to the Columbia, Westfield photos I've seen. You said your Dad was saying it was a Shelby... It HAS a Shelby chain ring. The Shelby Lindy and the Shelby Whippet(s) I've seen have an older style of chain ring; and, yours is right for an early '30s Shelby bike. I'm singling out a pair of good old fellas, @catfish and @hoofhearted . I also give you a link below where I only checked the first two pages; but, here are page and post numbers to consider: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/the-motorbike-era.92947/
Page 1 post #16 is from Hoofhearted; Scroll & Check out the tanks from his Lindy; earlier post #4 he states he has had a '35 Shelby built King-B.
Page 1 post #17 is from Catfish
Page 2 post 24 (scroll to eighth photo) A Shelby Fox (head-badge rivets are on the side, horizontal) etc...
Just my 2 cents; Your building a beauty!

So looking at the picture I, along with help from all you guys, have ruled out Columbia and am satisfied it is a Shelby. Looking at the rear axle stays is a dead give away. Now I just have to find out what Shelby head badges mounted horizontally and not vertical in 1930-31. He said he remembers it being raised like a Rollfast badge. I had no luck last week finding it. The chap I thought may have gotten it said he didn't.
1564059713406.png

Dave; I know of three special caber's who know a lot about badges! @catfish , @hoofhearted , @sm2501 , (theCABE's benefactor); perhaps we can get their attention; and maybe their in-put will be of help. Others may exist. There is/was one man; a museum owner who holds MUCH Shelby info, including serial numbers and being able to tell you the year, etc. His application process must be completed exact; there is a specified wait time; and specified cost. I'll have to do some searching to see if I can resurrect his sight info. I could not afford his terms.

Back