When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Motorbike frame with extras, 1930s $250 shipped, OBO

-

Allrounderco

I live for the CABE
I've got big plans for this. However, a change in circumstances means I won't be getting to it until this winter (at least), and I honestly could use the cash for another bike related endeavor. So with mixed emotions, I'm offering this up at the "I don't want to sell it price" of $250 shipped (CONUS), PayPal only. Feel free to set me straight on this here, or submit what you feel is a fair offer via PM.

I've tried to document it with photos as well as I can (which will make this posting load like crap - sorry), but don't hesitate to ask anything, or offer up any knowledge you may have. I've put up another thread on this, where you can find more photos and some discussion: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/s...equested.153936/#lg=attachment1014439&slide=0

SN is K173446. Bike takes a 28" wheelset (see thread linked above), but is probably a balloon frame, as there isn't much clearance for fenders. I think it would make a hot 700c fenderless roadster, which is my plan for it. Red appears to be overpaint on top of original red. I believe white to be original. Unsure what the fork is from (suggestions welcome). I believe the chainring and crank to be straight and original, with little chrome loss. Pedals are unknown. Left spins freely, right is bent and seized to the shaft. Rubber is petrified but intact. I've been told truss rods might be correct. They are rather pitted, frame and fork are not bad. Crank spins smoothly and freely. Headset turns nicely, but there is a bit of a rough spot just right of center. I've opened neither the BB or headset. Price includes everything shown in these photos (not wheelset from other thread), will be broken down as required before shipping. I'll likely need a couple of days to ship.

I'm in Farmington, CT. If you can pick up, I'll knock $50 off

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

Last edited:
BUMP

You are all being very nice in not suggesting my price is insane. Or are simply complying with the rules of the thread :).

Seriously, though - if anyone should have an interest, constructive criticism or offers are welcome. Here or via PM. I'm warming up to the idea of selling this now, so will probably be flexible. Also open to parting it. It's only metal - I won't be insulted.

Very nice early Shelby balloon tire bike. Perhaps early 1933-34? Would K-series be a couple years before the M's. The truss bar extends all the way forward to the head tube. Later Shelby bikes that fit the #1000 McCauley tanks have a truss bar that attaches to the down tube in front, or not the head tube; (thus a notch in the front of those tank/toolboxes).

Thanks very much for that additional information, @Archie Sturmer. Trying to figure out a Shelby of this era is so much more challenging than the Schwinn bikes I'm used to. The detail of the truss bar is so obvious now that you've pointed it out, but I've never noticed it.

I did take some time yesterday to break the frame down (above photos were as-acquired). The crank has the SMB marking cast in, so it's legit. Inside of head tube and BB are clean. Headset is trashed. The fork was assembled with the upper truss rod bracket AND another tabbed washer, which became clear when I broke it down. The truss rod washer has the tab at the rear, and the fork on this bike has the broaching at the front. And no, the PO didn't remove the tab from the truss rod bracket - he just jammed it down on there, messing up the fork threads a bit. I guess I'm glad the bracket wasn't altered, but really? Bare frame is noticeably heavier than my '32 Schwinn built Simmons at 7.4lbs (versus 6.6). I didn't weigh any of the other components, but the truss rods are solid, beefy, and HEAVY. I couldn't find any markings on the pedals. The RHS (bent shaft) one is seized. Left one seems as though it just needs clean and lube. I'm going to hang on to them, and maybe go over them this winter.

Technically, this stuff is all still for sale. But as I've sold other items, and have the money I needed, I'm thinking more about building this up. Of course I'm still broke, so I'll need to sell some other stuff to get parts. Which is alright. I have three Schwinn electro forged lightweights now, and don't need more than one, so there's a few bucks. And the pair of Vespas I'm no longer motivated to finish...

Back