When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first custom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Psychographic

Look Ma, No Hands!
I recently redid a 1980 Schwinn Varsity and really enjoyed working on the bike. It was given to me by a friend, who also gave me a matching woman's Varsity, both were blue. I think they may have been a matched pair for a couple.

I want the bike to keep as much of the Varsity look and feel as possible.

Here is the idea I'm going for.
Mock Up Small.jpg

I've already cut the seat and chain stays off. I now need to decide on a rear tire before putting it back together.

I would really like to put a 20"x4" back tire on the bike, but I want to use the varsity hub and freewheel. Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Last edited:
I recently redid a 1980 Schwinn Varsity and really enjoyed working on the bike. It was given to me by a friend, who also gave me a matching woman's Varsity, both were blue. I think they may have been a matched pair for a couple.

Here is the idea I'm going for.View attachment 1024031

I've already cut the seat and chain stays off. I now need to decide on a rear tire before putting it back together.

I would really like to put a 20"x4" back tire on the bike, but I want to use the varsity hub and freewheel. Does anyone know if this would be possible?
Building the wheel to those specs no problem. Getting a 4 inch tire to fit will probably require some frame mods. I think you can handle that , as you have cut the seat and chain stays off. I see you want to reposition the crank as well. Nice ...Keep us posted..

[QUOTE="Psychographic, post: 1042281, member: 82461" I want to use the varsity hub and freewheel. Does anyone know if this would be possible?[/QUOTE]

Doubt it. Tire will be wider than the hub so no room for the chain unless you offset the hub, witch opens up a huge can of worms.

Here is the idea I'm going for.View attachment 1024031

Keep Cracking on it and you'll figure something out to get it rolling. might not be what you originally wanted but I can see the vision of an old chopper style ride. good luck. keep us posted.

Doubt it. Tire will be wider than the hub so no room for the chain unless you offset the hub, witch opens up a huge can of worms.

I wonder if a hub could be made wide enough by offset cutting two hubs, and welding them back together?

I moved the top tube up in the back, and figuring how I want to mount the bottom bracket housing. Then I will move the bottom of the seat post back to make it more upright.
P7010449a.jpg

I also need to figure out how and where to bend the chain and seat stays so the rear dropouts remain level so the rear derailleur hangs at the correct angle.

Last edited:
I was given a 20"girls frame to use for relocating the bottom bracket. I used the downtube along with the BB housing, turned upside down and swapped front to back, also the stays and seatpost looked better than the ones from the Varsity. Finally, I used the top tube to add some curves to the top tube of the Varsity. It no longer had the Varsity look, but I really liked it. It reminds me of and old dirt track bike.

Getting the idea together with some duct tape.
P7240468.jpg

I little more refinement on fitment.

P7240471.jpg

I didn't like the open space behind the seat post, plus I wanted to move the seat back. After some really ugly welding,,,,,,,

P7260477.jpg

I found a used bike shop near me and picked up a six speed 20" mountain bike, it will donate wheels, rear derailleur (for now), and brakes. I'm waiting on a ridiculously small crank to get here so I can see if it's rideable.

P7310478.jpg

I may be a little concerned " After Some Really Ugly Welding " You DO want to ride it ................Right ? Cool project.............but , Please make sure those welds are up to snuff .

IMG_20180206_164041532_HDR.jpg

I think the welds will be fine. I took it for a quick and gentle ride with it only tacked together, I made it back in one piece!

I'm almost done with the metal work.

P8070484.JPG

I like how you filled the frame in with sheet metal, are you going to blend/ fill in the spots where the frame surrounds the seat post tube ? ( Top and Bottom ) I think that would really trick it out. :poutingcat: You'll have a bit of time in on this one..................cutting , welding , grinding.......................then repeat . I hope it rides as per your expectations................can't wait to see it painted . :fearscream:

Back