When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘53 Monark Silver King Rocket pricing

-
After seeing the for sale ads for this bike!!!!! YES, You are Definitly Confused to say the least!:cool:

As luck would have it I had a guy interested on FB. With something this obscure you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Going back to post #12. What is your definition of restoration? I’m confused, would someone really be dumb enough to repaint this bike? OR
Is Your idea of a restoration just cleaning it up?

"Restoration" in my mind is a repaint, complete refurbish of the major parts of the bike being chrome, paint etc. The term is used rather loosely by many. I consider a "detailing" or a partial refurbish of existing finish, paint and chrome, rubber etc., not a restoration. Even replacement of certain parts ( seat, pedals, grips, tires) are not really a full restoration, but part of a ( perhaps being partially resto'd) freshening up of a nice original bicycle. Of course everyone will have a different opinion of these terms and idea on what is correct.

I've been in the hobby over 30 years and don't consider myself an expert on anything, but agree that an original bicycle ( only detailed/cleaned up/perhaps made more correct with proper parts) holds more appeal/value than a total restoration.

I've done both on quite a few bikes over many years. Original will always be original. If this seller was overly optimistic on value in asking price, so be it. It's easier to come down in $$ than go up. I think the comment about post war bikes having a $2000.00 ceiling is laughable ( comment #20). How about an original Bowden?...minty Krates. Killer original Panthers, Phantoms, Colorflows, Radiobikes... etc. and on..and on..and on... Just my 2 cents. ( or 1.5 cents being Canadian and having a lower dollar)

Cheers,

Bobby Nashman/Nash

It’s currently undergoing a ‘recondition’. I’m not stripping the paint. I may polish it but I’m undecided. The light is being rebuilt and is working. A new NOS lens and top half came in the mail. With my day job I’ll be lucky to have it tuned within a month or two.

The oxidation—I’d like to get it polished up and redo the red pinstripes on the tank shrouds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think the comment about post war bikes having a $2000.00 ceiling is laughable ( comment #20). How about an original Bowden?...minty Krates. Killer original Panthers, Phantoms, Colorflows, Radiobikes... etc. and on..and on..and on

The gentleman's comment was 'most deluxe postwar bikes will never see the high side of $2k.' Pretty accurate, unless you modify it to fit your narrative. Makes me wonder if you work for CNN or MSNBC.

Back