When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

frame repainting tips

-
...I once said most of the advice here is full of it and that did not win me any friends....

There is a kernel of truth in this statement. Much advice, given on many forums including this one, is just plain wrong. :(

momo - Interesting about your physical reactions to the paint fumes. I too was an enthusiastic young car painter from about '69 to '79. I used acrylic lacquer exclusively, and usually with no mask or respirator. The only reactions I ever had from the fumes were a headache and a general malaise....

I never got sick, but the reactions you mentioned did happen to me.....

momo - Interesting about your physical reactions to the paint fumes. I too was an enthusiastic young car painter from about '69 to '79. I used acrylic lacquer exclusively, and usually with no mask or respirator. The only reactions I ever had from the fumes were a headache and a general malaise....

My ventilation system consisted of a box fan and cardboard sealing the back door in the garage. I did not make any provision for air intake, figured it would find its way in from leaks in the rest of the garage I guess, truth is I don't remember thinking about it. I remember the fumes and over spray being so bad that I could not see to paint. I lived through it, learned a lot, got the car done reasonably well and have an interesting story to tell. A headache and general malaise is what I had the day after. The next paint job went a lot better.

Yep, that sure happens a lot. More times than not.
Funny you should immediately respond. I could have sworn you had provided some helpful tips on how to paint a bike back in March on debo's thread. I have a bare metal motobike frame that needs paint. I'm going with ivory and dark blue two tone with standard simple arrows. I have primer and will not be using clear coat. Do you have a good thread to read? How long to wait after cleaning with alcohol ? After primer? After ivory front coats so that tape doesn't take paint with it? Thanks.

Funny you should immediately respond. I could have sworn you had provided some helpful tips on how to paint a bike back in March on debo's thread. I have a bare metal motobike frame that needs paint. I'm going with ivory and dark blue two tone with standard simple arrows. I have primer and will not be using clear coat. Do you have a good thread to read? How long to wait after cleaning with alcohol ? After primer? After ivory front coats so that tape doesn't take paint with it? Thanks.
This thread is a few years old so maybe for some reason that's why the links don't work. I tried to copy and paste the link but still no go. Would be nice to see what's in those links though.
I think I mentioned alcohol when gently cleaning the old screening on a chain guard before shooting it with a clear coat to preserve it. You can shoot the paint almost immediately after wiping it down with alcohol. I do not have a how to paint thread here. The last time I posted stuff like that was on the SBF a few years back. The best thing to do is read up on painting, know your paint and practice on a few beaters if you have never painted or painted a bike before. I painted my first bike when I was 13 and it wasn't no Krylon job, it was with Schwinn's Flamboyant Lime Lacquer over their Aluminum base. With lacquer there is no limit on recoat time so you could do a complete prime, base and candy coat in a day with light sanding in between. Knowing your paint is a key factor so after reading up on the do's and don'ts and how to, get some practice with the type of paint you'll be shooting. Also, painting with a rattle can is a whole different experience than shooting paint with a gun.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. My neighbor is trying to talk me into going the painting with a gun route but I don't do it enough to justify buying everything I would need. I'll probably end up repainting the bike in 5 years which is fine for me. It's gonna get scratches and dings and i can't help that. I've painted a bike earlier this year but it was all black which is easier than two tone. Did it in a day. I'm thinking prep primer and ivory can get done today.... Let it dry for a day or two then lay out the arrows with tape and finish with dark blue tomorrow or the next day. This bike has probably waited 85 years to get a new paint job and here I'm pretty much rushing to get it done in 2 days but that's the way it is. At this point I just need to get something on it before it starts rusting. Not going for perfect or even really nice.... Just good. Just don't want it to look like absolute crap.

20190617_200026.jpg

Just be sure to read the can of paint for drying time. From past experience, waiting a week or so will help keep from pulling paint when masking if using spray paint. Make sure the chemicals have flashed. Also, leave in the sun to bake the paint after shooting color. Seems to help make paint hard. I have some ivory appliance paint that has worked really well with these practices.
IMG_20151108_155914080.jpg

Back