When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
I ordered some 27 X 1 1/14 tires for one of my 1980's Schwinns and the tires seem to be out of round making a thump or bump as they rotate. I contacted the seller and he told me those 27 X 1 1/14 tires do not fit older Schwinns, but need them to fit to fit S6 or K2 rims. As far as I know, 27 X 1 1/14 is a common size.

Pretty sure I have used that size tire on older Schwinn rims. Are the beads seated evenly? Some dish soap around the bead when mounting can make a big difference.

So we are talking about S-6 tubulars? Are the tires marked ISO 32-650 ? I have never had the problem some have had with the China tires but there's always a first time. Beading the tire correctly is the key. Sometimes it takes a few shots of inflating deflating and massaging the tire to seat evenly. Having a clean rim with no rust on the sides also helps and I also use Windex to help with the beading.

If you were trying to mount 27 1/4 tires on a s-6 rim they wouldn't even come close to fitting. If the rims are steel 27 inch rims, a lot of the time it is next to impossible to get them to seat evenly all the way around. First, make sure there is no rust on bead. Then use soap or they do make a product to help seat the tires. I have had better luck with dish soap. Most times, you have to inflate the tires above max pressure to get them to seat evenly. They also make a tool something like pliers to grab the tire and pull it up from the area the tire is seated too low in. Basically mounting tires on old school steel rims is a PITA. Good luck!

26740.jpg

This may or may not help, but I recently discovered that if you try to double up on spoke protectors it can push the tube and tire and cause to not seat correctly, and or have high low bumps.

If you were trying to mount 27 1/4 tires on a s-6 rim they wouldn't even come close to fitting. If the rims are steel 27 inch rims, a lot of the time it is next to impossible to get them to seat evenly all the way around. First, make sure there is no rust on bead. Then use soap or they do make a product to help seat the tires. I have had better luck with dish soap. Most times, you have to inflate the tires above max pressure to get them to seat evenly. They also make a tool something like pliers to grab the tire and pull it up from the area the tire is seated too low in. Basically mounting tires on old school steel rims is a PITA. Good luck!

View attachment 1053106

Say what!? I never had a problem and I have 5 or so Varsitys with S-6's and few Continentals. I have had problems with the cheap asp China inner tubes though. Those tubes are total junk and can easily cause a problem.

1964 Varsity Completed 001.jpg

1964 Varsity Completed 004 (Large).jpg

1964 Varsity Completed 012 (Large).jpg

You mean rims strips?
Those things behind the free wheels are usually called spoke protectors. Or "pie tins"

Say what!? I never had a problem and I have 5 or so Varsitys with S-6's and few Continentals. I have had problems with the cheap asp China inner tubes though. Those tubes are total junk and can easily cause a problem.

View attachment 1053110

View attachment 1053111

View attachment 1053112
Well when I usually see s-6 wheels they are the 26×1 3/8 size wheels. Though Schwinn made S-6 & S-5 / S-7 / S-2 Wheels in 16 20 24 and 26 inch wheels I have never seen, as far as I can remember, S-6 27 inch wheels. Though they may be out there. The ISO on 26 x 1 3/8 wheel is way smaller than a 27 inch wheel. 570 or 571 is the ISO for schwinn 26 inch s-6 rims I think. The English 26 x 1 3/8 is different than the Schwinn but I get them turned around in my head.

Hey guys thanks for your input. I’m gonna try the soap thing and re mount to see what happens.

A couple of months back I put new Kenda 27x 1 1/4 tires on my 74 Le Tour and she rolls smooth as silk. These Are not Kendas so that may be the difference in lower quality Chinese junk. That is my bad.

Gt love that green Varsity!

Starting in 1963 the Varsity model was equipped with the 27" S-6 rim and used that rim for decades. The later Continentals also used that rim when Schwinn began counting beans.

Back