When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Model D oddity

-

ricobike

Wore out three sets of tires already!
See anything odd about this New Departure Model D?

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0969.jpg

Looks like some one changed out the driver.

Yep. I noticed it was a 19 tooth sprocket and thought, wow, never knew that ND made a 19 tooth sprocket. When I looked closer it was like, uh, it's a 3 lobe sprocket, what the heck is this? I went through my hubs that I have here and the driver looks similar on the outside to an F&S driver. Is it possible that an F&S driver setup somehow is compatible with ND?

Mattatuck driver. I believe New Departure bought them out at some point. You might have to change to a Mattatuck clutch also to make this conversion but I'm not positive about that.

Ah yes, forgot about Mattatuck. And maybe NK? Well I can at least keep this hanging around in case I ever need an odd sized sprocket on an ND. Thanks for solving the mystery :).

Edit: I did have an extra ND clutch laying around so I tested it and it fit and seemed to operate correctly. But I guess you don't know until you put it together and try to ride on it.

Last edited:
Back