When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Elgin ID

-

PlasticNerd

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Got this at the Oregon swap on Saturday. It’s my first Elgin and I don’t know much about them! I have an Elgin book at home somewhere!! Any help with all the details is appreciated , I can post more pics when I get home Wednesday, I know the pedals are wrong, LOL!! thanks guys, Gary
A48CDE83-1AAF-4B41-8667-E1947FDD216A.jpeg

5E88B96D-0417-450D-8061-4254D432209B.jpeg

Glad you made it up to the Swapmeet. I don't know much about those either, even though I have two similar frames. My guess is they are from 1939 to 1941. Murray was one of the two manufacturers.
Have fun, Shawn

Murray built, 38-40, flip it over and you can find out more. (mea culpa)

here is the similar bicycle, Fall 1940 Sears catalog, notice that in 41 they had a longer tank.

ElginBicycle1940-fall.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a combination of different parts. Most Elgins from that era used a drop stand. Your frame is designed for one, but the fender is not. Lots of different colored parts. I looked through my "Collectible Elgin, JC Higgins, Sears, Hawthorne" book and found nothing exactly like that.

Looks like a combination of different parts. Most Elgins from that era used a drop stand. Your frame is designed for one, but the fender is not. Lots of different colored parts. I looked through my "Collectible Elgin, JC Higgins, Sears, Hawthorne" book and found nothing exactly like that.
Thanks! I’ll find my book and check it out also!!!

It's hard to tell from the pictures of the bike but it appears that in the catalog illustrations that the Elgins from the era had the "air cooled hubs." Here's a picture of the front hub of a 39 Elgin I recently acquired.

20190520_183640.jpg

Doesn't look Murray to me. The rear frame tubes near the seat post are different. Looks Westfield built to me. But i'm not an expert so you may want to get more opinions on the matter

Back